Need help

TxCowgirl

Mar 24, 2017
Hi I just adopted a green cheek from a shelter. I have other birds but most are larger. This one I just got I have no history on it. My concern is it's so small. Weight is only 63 grams. My Hans macaw is larger than this one. Could this be a very young baby? I am used to the large birds so I don't want to assume everything is OK with this one. Any help would be great.

Gwen
Houston Tx

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
The Green-cheeked Conure is primarily green, with a grey breast, dark head, maroon tail and blue flight feathers. Its average weight is about 70 g - but the general weight range of this species is between 60 to 80 grams.

This is what google says. So I think 63 grams would be on the low side but not malnourished or really underweight. Let people more accustomed to conures answer though.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
It is hard to say -- it could just be underweight, or it could possibly be young. A picture may help. Also, any time you get a new bird (or any animal for that matter) a trip to your local Vet for a checkup is in order! An Avian vet would be even better. They will be able to determine if there are any health issues to be concerned about as well as possibly help you determine the age :)

Shoegoo

Nov 3, 2014
My GCC is 67 grams and the vet says she is petite. She is full grown and will be 1 yr. on 4-9-2017. She is 9 inches long. So that's a frame of reference. GCC are smaller than Sun Conures.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts