Need opinion on new sun conure

deedee

Mar 2, 2012
NJ
Parrots
2 African Greys
1 Caique
I adopted a 6 year old sun conure the other night. I went into this knowing that they can be very demanding. Amazingly, the day we brought her home she was allowing us to scratch and hold her. She is super sweet. I just would like to get some advice as to how to get her to not have to be on my shoulder all day. Her wings are not clipped and that will be happening hopefully tomorrow. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

SunConureMom

Jun 23, 2012
USA
Parrots
Calie - (M. Sun Conure, hatched 3/12)
My sun conure is the same way but he loves his toys. If I put him on his play stand with toys he does occupy himself for a little while. We also encourage him to play in our lap instead of being on the shoulder all the time by rubbing his head, neck, and even belly. His favorite place to be rubbed is under his lower beak. I think it will get better in time. If he screams, don't respond - just walk away. Mine is getting much better about not screaming because we are very consistent with this. Close the door, cover the cage, etc. until he stops. Good luck! They are a joy!

OP
D

deedee

Mar 2, 2012
NJ
Parrots
2 African Greys
1 Caique
What are your conure's favorite toys? I bought a bunch of things yesterday but I would love some ideas.

SunConureMom

Jun 23, 2012
USA
Parrots
Calie - (M. Sun Conure, hatched 3/12)
Every bird is different and it is trial and error until you find what works for him but mine loves foraging toys like small boxes full of strips of paper and ones with food hidden in them.

Most Reactions