Need quick advice....

julesellen

Mar 21, 2011
Media
Little Rock, AR
Parrots
6 mos old male Alexandrine parrot named Albert. :)
Hi. New to the parrot world and have a question.
I have a very nasty cold/fever.
Is it safe to handle my parrot, or should I keep away?
Don't know if they can catch sickness from humans.
I haven't taken him out of the cage today and don't want to until I know for sure I am not endangering him with my yucky germs!
Help?

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
hand washing before handling him, keep your face away from him etc to be safe

your virus might be air borne anyway

and yes from what i have read they can pick up our colds etc, but your birds not going to know your sick, all your bird be thinking is *ahem outta cage time please!

OP
J

julesellen

Mar 21, 2011
Media
Little Rock, AR
Parrots
6 mos old male Alexandrine parrot named Albert. :)
Ha! Yes, he has been giving me the evil eye. LOL I just didn't want to get him out until I knew for sure and I can tell he's getting the "ahem."
I wash my hands before handling him every time no matter what, so not a problem.
I guess I will NOT be giving him kisses for a few days.
Thank you!~ Albee sends his regards. :)
Have a wonderful day.
jules

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I don't believe Parrots can pick up any type of flu/cold from humans. However we can get Chlamydiosis (Psittacosis) from infected parrots. Parrots can get upper & lower respiratory infections but it's not the kind of virus that cause the comon cold in humans. I would be more worried about what an infected bird could pass on to me that me giving my birds a cold. One of the reasons i never let a parrot stick their beak or tongue near my mouth.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Psittacosis is highly contegious! So be wary if you have an outside aviary, make sure it has a roof over it also make sure wild birds can't get in. I agree with Pedro about more afraid what they can give me instead of vice versa.

Most Reactions