Need some advice about my Amazon Parrot.

-Moonie-

Aug 5, 2023
Parrots
Amazon Parrot
I have my bird for about 14 years now, everything was normal and okay until mid last year. They were doing fine until me and my family notice them doing something "weird", they would go inside their cage and stay on the floor and kind bite the cage bar like if it was holding it and kinda "lay" on the cage floor do a really weird sound, later someone we know told us we could be just something hormonal, mostly because we have only one bird and they would probably lay eggs too but we could stopped that by leaving then near a place with a natural light and a more colder room so our parrot don't think it's spring/summer the whole year and my parrot is free to walk around the house but since it was small they loved to stay in my room and after some changes throughout the years it kinda became a more darker and warm place, so know we let them walk around the house but not in my room. We got kinda worried but okay.

In April/May they started laying eggs, it was a total of 3 and it would always lay inside their fruit bowl that would stay on their cage floor, after those 3 eggs i got rid of the fruit bowl and got a smaller one to put on the top of their gate and after that those weird sounds and movements stopped. Until.... 2 days ago when it started happened again. While i'm writing this post they just did it a few minutes ago and although people say i shouldn't worry about i still do, this makes me feel very anxious and mostly when i'm all alone with me and I wouldn't like it to lay eggs again because i don't know what to do and how to care for my bird, the last time we didn't have any assistance and people would say different things to us all the time. If anyone who has a female bird who does the same thing could help me with some advices on how to make this stop or what to do if it happens again i'd be very happy.

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Welcome to the forum.
Amazon breeding season has been rough on many in 5he Northern hemisphere.

Lots of amazon members can give you info on ways to reduce hormones and egg laying.
But the thing that sticks in my mind about your post is your “hen” walks around the house.

Something I did early on with my Bingo was to not allow him on the floor.
Also you say “they” and you also say you only have one bird so I am a bit confused one bird or more than one?

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hatchingday- 14th of May, 2023
Hi so my advice is that you look at her and see if something in her cage is making her do this, if yes, then take it out. And you can try to let her take in a bit less sunlight and turn of her light or anything like that earlier so that may make her think that it’s not suitable for laying eggs. I’m not sure it would work but it worked on one of my rip birds. She was a love bird. And to make sure you know and please take no offence, that laying white eggs can be dangerous for your bird!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Egg laying is definitely connected to hormone issues. I dont know about the Southern hemisphere, but this year up North, its been a crazy year for abnormal hormone/mating season issues. You can reduce the effect of them but never eliminate it completely.

Some things you can do to reduce (but never 100% eliminate) the effects of mating season are:
  • Remove any shreddy type materials and limit access to them when the parrot is out of the cage
  • Prevent access to dark hidey holes
  • No touching the parrot anywhere except for the head and neck. This is a biggie as this can be interpreted as mating behavior by the parrot.
  • Limit or remove sugar bearing foods, like fruits and high fructose foods like corn, any pasta, etc
  • Lots of exercise – a tired parrot is less likely to indulge in mating behavior.

OP
M

-Moonie-

Aug 5, 2023
Parrots
Amazon Parrot
Welcome to the forum.
Amazon breeding season has been rough on many in 5he Northern hemisphere.

Lots of amazon members can give you info on ways to reduce hormones and egg laying.
But the thing that sticks in my mind about your post is your “hen” walks around the house.

Something I did early on with my Bingo was to not allow him on the floor.
Also you say “they” and you also say you only have one bird so I am a bit confused one bird or more than one?
I live in South America and my bird never acted like that since last year when it everything started and it was around june/july 2022 and it was winter, when it finally layed the 3 eggs was march/april 2023 when it was autumn. And she doesn't really walk all the time, it's mostly when she wants to go to another room, she also fly but not too much because the house isn't very big but she does a lot when she goes from her cage to the couch or some place higher, she also walks a lot when she just wants to follow us around the house

and sorry about my english, is not my first language and i only have one single bird

OP
M

-Moonie-

Aug 5, 2023
Parrots
Amazon Parrot
Hi so my advice is that you look at her and see if something in her cage is making her do this, if yes, then take it out. And you can try to let her take in a bit less sunlight and turn of her light or anything like that earlier so that may make her think that it’s winter. I’m not sure it would work but it worked on one of my rip birds. She was a love bird. And to make sure you know and please take no offence, that laying white eggs can be dangerous for your bird!
Her cage is pretty much empty, it doesn't have much stuff it's mostly one food bowl, one small fruit bowl and another thing for water and the cage "floor" and that's it. At night my mom puts a very thin blanket to get a little darker so she can sleep better and she takes it off very early in the morning. I live in south america and it is winter right now and about the eggs we have her for about 14 years and this never happened before, this year was the first time

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hatchingday- 14th of May, 2023
Her cage is pretty much empty, it doesn't have much stuff it's mostly one food bowl, one small fruit bowl and another thing for water and the cage "floor" and that's it. At night my mom puts a very thin blanket to get a little darker so she can sleep better and she takes it off very early in the morning. I live in south america and it is winter right now and about the eggs we have her for about 14 years and this never happened before, this year was the first time
Ok then, so this time when she lays her egg, let her sit on it. And when incubation time is over she will just give up on her eggs. Maybe one reason she starts to lay eggs this year is because you took her eggs last time.

OP
M

-Moonie-

Aug 5, 2023
Parrots
Amazon Parrot
Ok then, so this time when she lays her egg, let her sit on it. And when incubation time is over she will just give up on her eggs. Maybe one reason she starts to lay eggs this year is because you took her eggs last time.
She started laying eggs in april/march this year, she has never done that, so the behavior she's having rn it's the exact same one she started doing last year which made her lay eggs. We took her eggs because after left her with them she started throwing one away from her cage and the other she broke them while trying to do the same

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I live in South America and my bird never acted like that since last year when it everything started and it was around june/july 2022 and it was winter, when it finally layed the 3 eggs was march/april 2023 when it was autumn. And she doesn't really walk all the time, it's mostly when she wants to go to another room, she also fly but not too much because the house isn't very big but she does a lot when she goes from her cage to the couch or some place higher, she also walks a lot when she just wants to follow us around the house

and sorry about my english, is not my first language and i only have one single bird
Ok,
My wife is from South America and has many relatives in Colombia (and been there myself).
Her mother was forced by the government to give up her amazon parrots :cry: :mad::mad:
Anyway I stopped my YNA (male) from walking around on the floor for two reasons.
He was becoming aggressive to feet.
He would run after anyone walking close by.
The other thing was he was always looking for corners and places to hide for nest making.

Have you noticed your bird paying special attention to some object? either rubbing her butt or something hanging that can rub on her back?
If so remove the items might help.

In the end if it’s just once a year and you can’t stop it make sure your girl has a good diet with extra calcium around the time she starts acting hormonal.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Perhaps a little more background information to help with offering advice. There's a number of things that can help with the hormones. So, can you tell us about her sleep schedule, as in how many hours per night of uninterrupted sleep does she get? How about her diet? Does she allow you to handle/scratch her, and if so, are you petting or scratching anywhere other than her head and neck?

Most Reactions

Latest posts