Need some advice

SofisZooHouse

Jun 23, 2023
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Roy: Green Cheek Conure
Hi there feather friends! I need some advice on a second bird for my GCC(renamed from Roy to Tohru after DNA test). I love her and spend as much time as possible with her. When I get home from work she is extremely excited to see me to the point of seeming stressed out. I feel extremely bad that she doesn't have anyone to hangout with during the day even though I spend hours with her at night. I have upgraded her cage to where it can accommodate two birds (it is almost done being built) and was planning on getting her a friend. I was not sure if getting her another GCC would be a good idea because I cant find anyone who DNA tests for the gender and I am worried about accidental clutches. I have done animal breeding in the past and know I could handle it if push came to shove but I would prefer to avoid this if at all possible. What other species would get along well with her? Does anyone else cohab their birds? My parakeets growing up were always together and still friendly with humans so I'm not worried about them refusing to bond with me as I spend lots of time training, cleaning, caring for them and if they bond with each other more than me I'm honestly okay with it as long as they are happy and healthy. Any tips would be super appreciated! Here is a picture of us hanging out on the weekend :D

Attachments

• tohru.jpg
    tohru.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 17

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I've seen a lot of GCC pairs so I think you'd be good to raise two GCCs. I've also seen folks raise a GCC with a sun, although suns are a bit bigger and a lot of people are hesitant to cage birds of different sizes together. I'm in the process of slowly introducing a jenday and a GCC hoping that they'll get along well enough to live with each other but the important thing is that I have two separate cages available in the event that it doesn't work out.

I would say another GCC is probably your safest bet but you should be prepared to cage them separately, not only for safety (there needs to be a quarantine period before introduction), but also potentially for the long term. Introducing two birds is like introducing two people... they either click or they don't. Especially since your GCC has been an only bird for so long, so you don't have any context regarding how she feels about other birds in general.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
1)https://iqbirdtesting.com $14

2) conures are popuar because they love being with humans and may not like anouther bird. It depends.

3) some pet stores let you try before you commit and can return if it doesn't work out with like a two week window.

4) Most birds can get along thats why we have great youtube videos, but.....you have to find the right temperment of bird. I have a flock of nine and they all get along but it took effort, and the conures aren't always on board but they are about 99% of the time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts