Salt Lake City, UT
Parrots
Congo African Grey (Marley)
Orange Wing Amazon (Kiwi)
Quaker (Beeker)
Green cheek conure pair (Mojo & Juno)
Female Kakariki (Spree)
3 American Parakeets
I have a Green cheek conure pair and about a month ago the female fell ill with a bacterial infection in her liver. I had to separate the pair for 2 weeks while the female was being treated with medication and while she was recovering. After the treatment was over I put the female back into the cage with the male. Everything seemed fine for about two weeks until about 3 days ago when I noticed that the male was picking out all of the females feathers! I'm not sure what could be causing this. They were together before the female got sick for a year, with no problems what so ever. Does anyone have some advice for me?

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
I'm not sure, but maybe he's picking her feathers to line the nest if they are. Breeding pair. If they seem to be getting along: preening each other, playing together and not fighting. If he starts to attack her or block her food supply I would separate them. It old also be that when they were separated he took the cage as his territory and you reintroduced her into HIS territory, causing aggression. If that seems to be the cause I would move them o separate cages for a while. Then put the cages next to each other and let them interact outside the cage. Then introduce them both to a neutral cage. Good luck and welcome :)

OP
Kspenn

Kspenn

Nov 11, 2012
Salt Lake City, UT
Parrots
Congo African Grey (Marley)
Orange Wing Amazon (Kiwi)
Quaker (Beeker)
Green cheek conure pair (Mojo & Juno)
Female Kakariki (Spree)
3 American Parakeets
Thank you so much! I did look in the nest box and there are a bunch of feathers in there. They seem to be getting along just fine, preening and the male keeps trying to feed the female. I don't think my female is ready to mate yet so when the male tries the female snaps at him, but that's the closest yo aggression I've seen so far. I removed the nest box for now, so that the male might calm down for a bit. I'll put it back in after I get this situation sorted out. Thanks again for your advice!

Most Reactions