Need some advice

Wraith

Sep 20, 2017
Canada
Parrots
Ro the Green Cheek Conure
It took my conure Ro a month before she was fully adjusted to me. She was the same. I left her be for a week unless she initiated contact. I talked to her and spent time in the room but never forced an interaction. My rescue budgie I've had for a year and will never be alright with being handled. All birds are different and have different needs and times to get used to new things.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Keep feeding her treats. If she's not comfortable with your hand near her, then don't put your hand near her - for now. Just work on getting to know her.

Any time anyone walks by the cage, have them drop a treat in the cage for her. This can help her learn to associate good things with the entire family.

I also only pet birds on their heads - if they are accepting of it. Anywhere else could lead to unwanted hormonal behavior.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc1FKcVIPK4"]Casey the tiel getting scritches - YouTube[/ame]

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
one thing I would add is not having the cage in your son's room and instead in the busiest area of the house so she can be more accustom to seeing the whole family than your son which would explain why she wants to spend time with him above everyone else

OP
B

Benalexe

Nov 5, 2017
one thing I would add is not having the cage in your son's room and instead in the busiest area of the house so she can be more accustom to seeing the whole family than your son which would explain why she wants to spend time with him above everyone else

Good point. The bird is actually his but I am doing this with him. This other issue is we have 2 dogs and I would not feel comfortable taking the bird out with the dogs around.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Monica took the words right out of my mouth. If he bites your hand every time .. heck at least for now don't push it. Sounds like lil birdie selected the 13 yo to be his BFF. Many birds will do just that. Question? Does he have to accept you also before you can provide him a home? Can it be enough that he trust your son? Weeks or months down the road he may relax a bit more but there is no safe bet. These creatures have triggers, protect the nest, protect their mates, protect toys/food etc. which may all result in a bite. It is possible to socialize the bird so that its not on defensive all the time and it would be rare indeed if he would become everyones cuddlebug. It CAN happen but its rare.

And oops... forgot one very important thing. NEVER take getting bit personal.

Last edited:
OP
B

Benalexe

Nov 5, 2017
Definitely likes my son. She actually stepped up on him today. Very exciting progress. We want her to like me as well as my son will go to college before I blink and the bird will need to hang with me more. But I do have time

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Great. Let the son take the lead bonding with the youngin then later let him introduce him to the family. Continue offering treats so he trust your hands. Respect his territory. When you do want to graduate to touching for a little head or cheek scratch avoid bringing your hand in from above. Ask permission. With my Amazon I ask "rub his head?"then show my hand rubbing fingers together... and he will present himself to be rubbed IF he is wanting it. Perhaps have your son ask permission also.... so when its time for you to try using the same words letting him know your intentions might break the ice. Trust me.. even if they do not speak our language much they do get to understand our words/gestures we use interacting with them. Good luck

Most Reactions

Latest posts