Need Some Thoughts. Warning, Wound Picture Below!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
My parents are in Florida, been there since January and are coming home this week. She has seven cats, six she took with her and one she left at home because he's pretty much an outside cat. Two months ago I brought this cat from her house to mine because he has a very large access at the base of his tail. I have kept it clean, administered antibiotics from the vet but it's still not healing. So I asked the vet to test for MRSA, test is $200 (OUCH!!!), so I looked up feline MRSA test kits online and found one for $80, much better. Well they no longer offer the kit.

My mother is a serious germ-a-phobe, so much that I get irritated with her. I gave her an update on the cat today, and she has irritated me now because she is questioning whether the cat should come to her house now, she doesn't wan the cat around her other cats, she even mentioned putting him down. See where the irritation comes in??? I feel like she doesn't want to deal with it because she's squeamish when it comes to injuries. She's so bad I keep telling my father he needs to get a Life Alert to wear because if he gets hurt, blood is involved, and he has to depend on Mom, he's dead. Not kidding! The whole family was at their house, Dad dropped a knife on his foot. Mom is sitting in her chair trying not to pass out. My brother and I treated my Dad, lots of blood and we don't let her live it down.

So I am taking the cat to the vet tomorrow and I'm going to ask them to treat him for MRSA first, if they won't then I'm going to ask them to test him for MRSA. As for my mother, I'm trying to put nice words together to encourage her to take him home and care for him. I am really concerned she will choose to put him down because she doesn't want to deal with things. He is a very healthy cat other than this issue. Also we think it started as a spider bite, but it won't heal. Any words of wisdom or recommendations.

0deb7066a5481679e7b78f9421cd1c69.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is very possible that the Cat is over-cleaning the wound and preventing healing. And, that is about all I know about Cats!

Continue down your current path, but talk to your Vet about the above possibility as an added issue.

Best or luck with your mother and YES, get you Dad an Alert system. Couple of the new tech types on the Market. I would look at one of the Home Alarm System (Cell based w/ WiFi) that has a panic button, but can support several additional buttons. Monitoring costs start a $20 per month with no-contract.

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
That poor kitty! I imagine he's very uncomfortable and trying to clean it. Do they put cones on cats? He might need the cone to keep him from licking it long enough to heal.

I can see how you would be very frustrated about your Mom wanting to put the cat to sleep rather than deal with his wound. I think she'd have a hard time finding a vet willing to do that.

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
That poor kitty! I imagine he's very uncomfortable and trying to clean it. Do they put cones on cats? He might need the cone to keep him from licking it long enough to heal.

I can see how you would be very frustrated about your Mom wanting to put the cat to sleep rather than deal with his wound. I think she'd have a hard time finding a vet willing to do that.

Thank you! That is so reassuring to hear because I texted my mother asking her she was considering that. She still hasn't responded.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
There's excess tissue there that looks like it might need to be removed, honestly, but other than that, the wound looks pretty good. With this type of wound that can't be closed with stitches, it needs to heal from the inside, out.

I'm not a vet, obviously, but especially for this area, it probably needs to be dressed and changed frequently until it starts to close. Being so close to the anus it's likely to get infected again, but wrapping it and using a cone or collar on the cat for even a week should make a huge difference. Hopefully the vet will be able to put a few stitches in to help it heal, though I wouldn't really worry too much about it being MRSA.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
There's excess tissue there that looks like it might need to be removed, honestly, but other than that, the wound looks pretty good. With this type of wound that can't be closed with stitches, it needs to heal from the inside, out.

I'm not a vet, obviously, but especially for this area, it probably needs to be dressed and changed frequently until it starts to close. Being so close to the anus it's likely to get infected again, but wrapping it and using a cone or collar on the cat for even a week should make a huge difference. Hopefully the vet will be able to put a few stitches in to help it heal, though I wouldn't really worry too much about it being MRSA.

Totally agree! Looks to be a chronic but treatable wound. I would hope an ethical vet would encourage adoption if necessary and would not sanction euthanasia.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I have an aunt who is a germophobe, and it can be a very difficult affliction.

As far as a life-alert type system, there are many types and they can bring piece of mind. Got one for my Mom who probably doesn't need one yet, but it is reassuring. Not just for health reasons, but is available for any emergency including burglary, fire, etc. She tests periodically and response time is quick.

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Well I have a some what happy end. No tongue in cheek twister. My mother is home and we brought Mr. Kitty (MK) to her home. She took him to another vet. They amputated his tail and he is still at their clinic for observation. My mother texted me an apology today. She now realizes the severity of his illness and she is proactively addressing it. I hate that the cat has lost his tail but he didn't lose his life. And now he must be kept indoors but I'm asking and hoping he can go outside some. More to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thanks for the update on MK :). I hope all will be well in the future with him and your mom.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Tracey, this is very good news. I'm so glad your mom is being reasonable now. It is so sad that MK has lost his tail but better his tail than his nine lives. Hoping to hear he has a speedy recovery.

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
I'm sad the he had to lose his tail, but happy that your mother seems willing to care for him and not have him put down because his injury is inconvenient.

Most Reactions