Need your advice for interesting questions.

Drara

Jan 5, 2017
Hi everyone.

I am very new to this Forum but I'm certainly not new to being a parrot owner and I'm not new to Indian ringnecks neither. In the past I had an Alexandrine parrot and a green Indian ringneck but currently I don't own any parrot.

Being a passionate parrot lover I wanna get another parrot, this time rather a blue or yellow (Lutino) ringneck, but I'm having a dilemma and I'll appreciate your answers and your help.

1. Since I believe that many people like me, probably work a full time job, I wonder if I should get another parrot or not, especially when my personal schedule requires me to be out of home for many hours. Many days I would leave home late midday, like on 12 or 1 PM, but I can sometimes come back home late at night until 1 or 2 AM. (Basically, my late working days are mostly on Monday's through Wednesday's. but as mentioned before, on weekends I'm home full time).

With that being said, I have read a lot (specifically) about Indian ringnecks that they are considered to be quite independent unlike other parrots who require lots of attention. I am well aware that even an Indian ringneck needs a fair amount of attention, and I will certainly share time with the parrot before I leave home and when I arrive back home (and on Weekends when I am home the entire time).

Do you think he will do OK being left alone for long hours (with lots of toys of course etc...) or leaving them alone for many hours during the day will ruin their being hand fed?

The next two questions are relevant in case there is a feasibility for me getting a new bird, or if you just wanna share your thoughts for the sake of others.

2. I currently reside in a country where Indian ringnecks have invaded the place and we have Indian ringnecks all around the country like you would see regular birds and crows flying around.
I remember that when I last had an Indian ringneck, when ever he heard the voices and screaming of ringnecks on the street, he used to start calling them and it seemed like as if he was wishing to be free like them and would wanna fly away together with them.

Do you think that owning a ringneck in a country where they flock outside on the streets would affect owning one in captivity? meaning, that he might not get connected good enough with me because of him hearing the others outside?

3. Is there any difference between a regular green ringneck or a blue/yellow mutation in terms of being a great captive parrot? would a blue or lutino ringneck make a better choice as a home parrot or all ringnecks are the same?

Sincere and experinecd answers appreciated.

Thank you so much

Last edited by a moderator:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have noted that, when one asks such questions. They very likely know the answer. They just want someone to talk them into doing it. That way when its fails, they can state: Well "they said it would be Okay!"

Others will be along to provide you reason to add, yet, another Parrot.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
#1-No, you absolutely should not have any type of bird as a pet, as your hours do not allow you to properly care for any breed of parrot that i am aware of, let alone bond with it! If you actually did own an Alexandrine and an Indian Ring Neck prior, as you have stated (yet you seem to know nothing about them), you would surely be aware that they need as much care and most importantly as much time with their owners as any other parrot. Saying that Indian Ring Neck parrots are more "independent" than other parrots simply means that they can be happy playing with their toys while other breeds never like to play alone at all, but regardless they need hours of out of cage time every day interacting with their owners. Paying attention to them for an hour or two in the morning and then on weekends won't cut it. They need 12-14 hours of solid sleep sir, all parrots need 12-14 hours of sleep to be happy and healthy, so your hours don't work. They need a schedule and a routine, and your bird would be locked inside a cage with NO ATTENTION FROM YOU from 11:30-12:00 in the afternoon until whenever you get up in the morning, let's say 8:00-9:00 in the morning...Does that sound like a good idea to you? Does it sound fair? Does it sound like a good idea? As Sailboat has stated you know it's not a good idea, you just want other experienced parrot owners to tell you it's not, or rather you need us to. I can't stop you from getting a parrot, but you will end up with an unhappy, unhealthy, bored, depressed parrot that is neglected. It will have behavior issues, will be destructive, and will probably be violent and lose any tameness it had as a baby very quickly because it will not be interacted with nearly enough and certainly will not bond with you.

#2... Doesn't matter because you would not be spending nearly enough time with any parrot for you to earn it's trust and bond with you to begin with...But any parrot that you get will end up becoming essentially "wild", if that helps you at all.

#3...No, there is no difference in personalities or behaviors between different color mutations in Indian Ring Neck parrots, and no color mutation will need any less of your time or end up any differently than I've already stated.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
1) Indian Ringnecks are more independent, yes. But that means you have to spend more time occupying them with toys etc rather than snuggling them, not that they require less time. Yes, a ringneck is likely a suitable pet. Be sure that wherever you place the cage he is able to get a natural sunrise and sunset if you are unable to provide a consistent artificial schedule through covering and uncovering the cage at certain times.

2) no. I also have wild IRNs in my neighborhood. My birds call in the morning and evening just like the wild birds, but as long as you do a good job giving them an amazing life, the wild birds shouldn't be an issue.

3) color has absolutely nothing to do with personality. However since you mention your bird wanting to be free, and having wild ones about, let me mention that a blue or yellow IRN would be attacked and killed by the wild birds if he should escape, while a green bird MIGHT be able to survive if he found a flock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Drara

Jan 5, 2017
Dear Ellen D.

First, thank you for your effort and long response.
With that let me comment to your hard hitting answers and say, 1. Don't assume that I don't know any thing about the parrots I had in the past just because I do know a lot about being a parrot owner and non the less about the species I had. Well, when I had the Alexandrine and the IRN it was a time when I devoted my self to them.
The IRN that I had was a parrot I received from someone who found it on the street and was attacked by a street cat or else, and I took great care of him until I saw that it needs special medical treatment and I then handed him for adoption to a bird health center. In fact the Alexandrine I owned I gave to a devoting friend only after my schedule became tight.

Now, I am very well aware of the time and attention any parrot requires, but I still wanted to get an idea if there is a possibility to own a parrot considering my schedule since I know that there are many parrot owners who work a full time job, and there is nothing wrong about asking.

I'm sure that many parrot owners are working long hours during the day, and I'm kind of certain that there are solutions for them.

Well, if my personal schedule isn't matching the needs of a parrot, then I would certainly not get one. And this is just what I was looking to hear.

Thank you

LadyE

Jan 6, 2017
Parrots
Indian Ringneck-Kico
2 Budgies-Kiki&Lora
...we have some long time away schedule in some days(not every day) and yet my IRN is healthy, happy and tamed as the first day he arrived(we bought hand reared IRN) so yes as long as you can give enough time in day to let your bird out and play with him, provide nice food for him and give him lots of toys to occupy him when you're gone then you shouldn't have a problem with it. And yes it's true they are more independent than other species(larger ones) but this only means they won't hurt themselves like some do when their owners don't pay enough attention. Every bird needs attention but they can be left alone easier than some others. Also there is always an option to have 2 birds to have a company or even the one from another species in separate cages of course but close to each other, birds won't feel left alone when you're gone.
If you really want a bird company it can work, you need to arrange that time for yourself and see is it enough for your bird too. And like I said 2 birds are easier solution for your busy time. Mine even goes out late at night , he has mixed schedule with us but so what? Is it stated somewhere that bird must sleep without a pause for 14h in day? No it doesn't. They wake up, eat something, drink water, preen themselves than go back to sleep again, and so on for few times during those long hours. Mine goes out in the morning and at night, 2 times a day for hour or couple hours, depending how much we can offer that day, spends time with us, plays with us and alone, flies around happily. No one can tell you are you good enough now to have a bird or not, only you can answer that question. I know if I want something I'll get it, if I have conditions to make it work for me and a bird too I see no problem, you should think same for yourself, don't let anyone put you away from what you want or into what you don't want. Hope this answer helps you a bit more. As for 2nd question can't help you much except saying birds call out any other birds outside, at least my all birds I ever had did so and for 3rd I believe colors have no effect on bird's behavior

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
I have an alexandrine for about 4.5 years now. I currently work 6p - 3a. He's doing great.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Just my two cents ... perhaps it is not advisable to get a parrot right now.

You might find your bird would react instinctively to the flocks outside - some birds think they are humans, and some are forever driven by genetics. It's impossible to know which kind of bird you will get in advance!

For that reason as well, you might hesitate. It's like having a child: you might bring forth a Nobel Prize winner, or an axe murderer. You might get a parrot from a species reputed to be independent and quiet, and he could turn out to be the noisiest piece of velcro on earth. Also, birds change. Most birds will be good when they are first in a new home, because they are naturally reserved in strange situations. Once the bird feels at home, it could become more bitey, or talky, or bossy. It usually takes a long time to socialize a parrot in a new home, and that might not fit with your schedule.

It's good to think of a parrot as a toddler with wire cutters and an air horn. They are intelligent, they need attention, they are able to bite and chew and destroy in ways you never imagined including power cords and windowsills, and they can become angry and insane if their needs aren't met. And they live a long time: it isn't good to adopt a bird unless you are willing to commit to it for life, because the bird has no choice. It can't move out of the cage if it's unhappy.

Parrots are best for people who are home a lot, or who have lots of time to devote to the parrot when they are home, and can give it some kind of schedule. Parrots can survive times without enough attention, but it isn't good for them, and if it isn't good for them it won't be good for you. You may find the precious time you have to spend is all used up looking for ear plugs and bandages, instead of snuggling with the feathery darling.

LadyE

Jan 6, 2017
Parrots
Indian Ringneck-Kico
2 Budgies-Kiki&Lora
What OP was looking for I believe is to know do they have tendency like some other species to pluck their feathers or hurt themselves if they're unhappy/alone too long. I think I gave an answer to that from what I know so far and from my own experience. But then again, everyone knows best for themselves how much free time they have to share with a pet.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
It is definitely possible to successfully keep parrots while working full time. I do so myself. They are very adaptable. But you do get out of them what you put in. And on average you need to be able to spend a few hours a day with them. Will there be a day or two where you have a crazy day and can't spend the usual time with them? Certainly. But so long as this is the exception rather than the rule, and you make sure the time spent otherwise is solid quality time, it can work. You do, however, need to be absolutely honest with yourself about whether or not this is something to which you can commit. Know what I mean?

Last edited:
OP
D

Drara

Jan 5, 2017
Dear LadyE
I very much appreciate your sincere and clear point of view. This is exactly the people I was aiming to hear from - people like you who work a full time job and are out of home and yet own a parrot and are able to share their true experience.

Thank you again.

LadyE

Jan 6, 2017
Parrots
Indian Ringneck-Kico
2 Budgies-Kiki&Lora
I'm glad it helped and you found out what you were looking for :) we have recent exaple with our IRN who was alone since last night until tonight,almost 24h alone lets say, but he's doing very fine. When we have to be away we just have to and this is the longest so far I think. He was a bit bitey when we first got around his cage (5minutes tops lol) because it was night time also but he calmed as usual, I took him out to play with us and fly and I can only tell you he's a very happy bird :) tomorrow we're at home almost all day so he will be out a lot and have quality time with us. As long as you can make it work for both you and your bird than it's a go for it :)

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
Personally, many people do ask these questions, trying to hear something that they want to hear HOWEVER, at least these questions are being asked. So many times people adopt/buy parrots without ever asking questions. The ones who ask questions are the ones that have better potential of being AMAZING parrot owners. Unless the questions asked involve something that could pose horrible risks to the parrot, I think it is best we answer these questions truthfully, but also remain open to these posters by understanding that they are at least trying to understand. And try and tell them the proper answers without just providing rude comments.
Lately I have noticed new people coming to these forums and wanting some advice, and they are met with harshness. This is not helping anyone, certainly not the forums, potential parrot owners, or the parrots. And in my experience, these harsh statements do not prevent these people from getting parrots. People are much more receptive if they are treated kindly, and are made to understand with an intellectual post. Firm answers perhaps. Not cruel or harsh with only one post from the OP that doesn't seem to have life-threatening questions pertaining to the parrot. This has recently been on my mind due to some unnecessary comments I have seen. However, I LOVE these forums, and they are truthfully the BEST thing that could have happened to me and Kiko.

That said, perhaps a parrot isn't the best choice for you. However, I can see it potentially working out with effort and thought on your part. Just force yourself, even after a late shift, to wake up early and spend many hours with the parrot before heading off to work. Make sure they have the proper amount of light/night hours as well

Just continuously search about owning another parrot, and we will try and help you the best we can with your questions! :)

2. No, I do not think this will really affect anything. There is always a potential, though.

3. Nope! All of them act the same and make such good companions!

For years I have been searching threads and information about Indian Ringnecks, and haven become infatuated with them. I just wanted to add something that I notice occasionally. It seems that in order for an Indian Ringneck to remain somewhat friendly, and dare I say it "pet quality," or as much as any parrot can be, they really need a lot of direct (physical) attention. Sometimes more than a dependent parrot may need!

Last edited:
OP
D

Drara

Jan 5, 2017
Thank you LadyE and Tangie.
No doubt that people would much more get to internalize others advice if the advice is being said in a polite manner. In general, communication between humans works only when there is mutual respect.

So far, I understand that the replies are divided between those who believe that if you don't devote your self fully then it's a no no situation and those who think that some devotion is feasible.

I would like to hear more from people who actually work a full time job or have been out of home for many hours today or in the past.

Thanks again for your kind answers. I am certainly not in a rush to make any conclusions and I am ready to wait and learn until I can get a full understanding from your experience.

Much appreciated.

Last edited:

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
Actually, I just realize I fall into that category LOL!

I do not have a job, however I am in college. I live roughly 40 minutes away, so I do not come back to the house during breaks. I leave roughly around 8:00 a.m, and I do not get back until about 4:30 in the afternoon. I spend the REST of the night hanging around the house, and with Kiko. Because of this, I rearranged his schedule a little. He will normally go to bed about 9:00 p.m, and wakes up around 8:30 a.m(sunlight), sometimes a little later. So at LEAST 11 hours of sleep.

However, this varies day by day, and I have no classes on weekends, and sometimes only one or two classes in the day. But 3 days out of a week at least, I am gone for about 9 or so hours. This works for us, and it may work for you and your parrot, too! However, it may not work for others. I think it just depends on the situation.

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
I work 40+ hours a week. It works for my bird because I make him a part of my life. He is always with me when I am home. I take him in a bird pak with me on errands, to my friends' homes, on vacation with me to other cities, overnight with me at other places, on patios at restaurants.

I have always had a hectic life. I am definitely not a person to stay still or be at home all the time.

I dont think there will ever be a "perfect" home for a bird outside of the wild. You make your life work for you and your bird. If you truly want a bird, then you just find a way to make it work.

I will admit I constantly think about getting a second bird to keep him company (even if they hate each other, the presence of another living being is helpful). However, I couldnt think of a way to easily travel with 2 birds, so I havent done it yet.

I want to add a comment about about IRNs needing constant handling or they go wild. I dont breed IRNs, but I grew up with 2. They were like dogs with wings, I really dont know how this sterotype of IRNs came to be.

Last edited:
OP
D

Drara

Jan 5, 2017
I work 40+ hours a week. It works for my bird because I make him a part of my life. He is always with me when I am home. I take him in a bird pak with me on errands, to my friends' homes, on vacation with me to other cities, overnight with me at other places, on patios at restaurants.

I have always had a hectic life. I am definitely not a person to stay still or be at home all the time.

I dont think there will ever be a "perfect" home for a bird outside of the wild. You make your life work for you and your bird. If you truly want a bird, then you just find a way to make it work.

I will admit I constantly think about getting a second bird to keep him company (even if they hate each other, the presence of another living being is helpful). However, I couldnt think of a way to easily travel with 2 birds, so I havent done it yet.

I want to add a comment about about IRNs needing constant handling or they go wild. I dont breed IRNs, but I grew up with 2. They were like dogs with wings, I really dont know how this sterotype of IRNs came to be.

Oh man, I'm so envy of you that you are able to travel and go every where with your bird. Well, for me not only is that impossible but I wouldn't have a life if I'll need to take him along every where I go.

Well, I wish I was able to enjoy a parrot like you do. Still, your situation is kind of different and I would love to hear more from other parrot owners with a full time job that leave their parrot home rather than taking him along with them.

Thank you.

LadyE

Jan 6, 2017
Parrots
Indian Ringneck-Kico
2 Budgies-Kiki&Lora
I just love the part about comparing them to dogs and is exactly what we always say about ours! He's like a little doggy with wings only :) he likes to bite and chew things, he follows us everywhere, as soon as someone goes out of the room he'll fly to their shoulder and he also likes to grab and pull things from us lol for example as soon as I go to take his water bowl out to give him fresh water he grabs it with his beak and won't let go, than when he can't hold it with beak includes feet too lol it's such a funny thing to see and ofc I don't pull it away strongly, just wait until he backs up a bit and than pull it away faster. I'd love if I could take ours with us everywhere too but unfortunately that won't be possible so when we go on a trip he'll stay with my parents and have budgies company there too so I think he can be happy even when we're gone :) and my mom loves parrots too, she was very bonded to cockatiel we had before, he even slept with on her shoulder for the afternoon nap time lol I like the fact working people are sharing there experience too here and I'm sure little flying doggies can be happy with us workers too :) btw he also goes incredibly happy when you get back home, just like a dog would do lol

Most Reactions