Need your good thoughts/prayers - Parker is in trouble

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Fingers crossed Parker continues to do well and has not sustained any problems from the excedrin! Most likely, it tasted pretty nasty and he probably spat most of it out.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
So glad to hear Parker's outlook is optimistic. Hopefully his upcoming blood chemistry panels will be normal.

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
Any update on how Parker is doing today?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Not much of one at this time, unfortunately. He's still giving them hell (by the sound of it, making their job a bit difficult), bright and energetic. He threw up some of the activated charcoal overnight (not all, but some), hes lost a little bit of weight as would be expected. Didn't eat to much, but that's also to be expected - they probably fed him pellets which he's not crazy about.

They are waiting until later today to do the bloodwork. Its takes 24-36 hours for liver and kidney symptoms to manifest, and since he's still looking good they want to err on the longer end of that spectrum before testing. Possiblity of staying one more night, depending on how everything goes.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Great update! Seems the vet is very skilled and is taking all possible precautions. Hope Parker will soon be cleared!!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Im glad to hear Parker is in good hands and challenging the medical staff. Wishing Parker the best possible outcome.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Chris is it possible for you to drop off some of his normal food? Having that may make him more agreeable to eating something? A little bit of home also.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Chris, you sure Parker isn't just trying pull something off and play hookey from
Parrot Board University? We'll want a doctors note if hes out overnight again !
Parker, you hear that, young man?

J/K, we all want Parker back where he belongs - with you!

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Hope all goes well with the bloodwork and that Parker grts through the night and through tomorrow without incident...Parker will be home again before you know it

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
Glad to hear that he still seems to be ambitious. Making things difficult can take a lot of energy and it's good that he has it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
Just getting caught up...

OMG, Chris! How scary for you! Your heart must have been in your throat when you saw what had happened. Seems like Parker is doing okay, thank goodness!

I remember when I caught Baxter chewing on the lead end of a pencil and I about lost it. Turns out pencil leads are now made out of graphite so there was no poisoning to be worried about - gave the vet a good giggle to see me freaked out over a pencil.

Please keep us updated!

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
I hope Parker is feeling better and that he just fooled you by grinding up that yucky tablet and not eating any. What a prankster!

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Official update: his blood panel was normal!! It worked out that he's staying again since I had something come up and couldn't get him, but they want to run another panel tomorrow morning so it's fine. He's likely coming home tomorrow afternoon. So relieved!!!! It's starting to look like he ground up most of it.

So relieved! There will likely be another panel in a week given the delayed nature of a potential acetominopehn, but everything is looking spot on.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Awesome! There is light at the end of the tunnel!! Hope Parker is about to return home!!

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Wonderful news Thank God :)

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
This is the news we were hoping for!!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Great news Chris. I just think about all those blood tests, they can be stressful, taking blood so often....

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Parkers home! Nice to have him back.

He's pretty sedate and dazed. Second blood panel came back great, slight elevation in liver values. I was sent home with three meds to give him, one of which thankfully only has two doses left. Had to learn quickly how to towel him, which actually isn't too bad. Got him the first try with minimal difficulty.

Sucky part is one med needs to be given 20 minutes in advance of food and the other meds, so he needs to be toweled 4 times a day.

BUT HES HOME!!!!!

Most Reactions