Neglected animals. Need help

Sarahtheumbrella

Jun 22, 2012
Parrots
a beautiful umbrella cockatoo
Great judgement and choices kitty. He sounds like a really edgy person, expecially since he is not a child.

Well all of your animals seem to be amazingly well taken care of. I would love to go veg. but the fact that my cockatoo likes chicken lowers my resolution :0 ...

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
I am glad he believed you!! Good news. Fingers crossed for you that both the chicks are girls so that you can keep them! If not I wish you luck in finding another owner ! :D

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I'm glad you got this guy off your back !
I'm sure you know about chickens , but I'm just going to offer this anyways..
If the chicks are both hens , and you keep them , is it possible that you could keep the chicks separate from the others until they are fully feathered and can take care of themselves ? Because the other chickens could possibly pick on them or even kill them.
I don't know what breed of chickens you have and if they are docile .
I know I tried to introduce some new chicks in with the others who weren't even fully grown and they clearly wanted to harm the little ones.
Just thought I would put that out there ...... You don't need anymore problems , you've been through enough !
Good luck , and I really hope they're hens :)

OP
Kitty

Kitty

Apr 10, 2012
Birmingham. UK
Update:

Both chicks are growing up well and are almost ready to have their heat lamp turned off. The wounds they had when I first recieved them have now healed perfectly. I had to clean their cuts daily to keep them clean...The chicks didn't like this very much so I thought they would dislike me but they've turned out very tame and friendly:)

I've sexed the chicks and I'm 99% sure one is a male and the other is female. I plan to either keep the hen and re home the rooster or to have them re homed together (they're not related) because after everything they've been through it seems a shame to spilt them up :(

As for the guy I got the chicks from, I haven't seen or spoke to him since the last time I mentioned :jumping40

Thank you all so much for your help. Every piece of advice you gave me helped towards saving the chicks.

Rana

Sep 18, 2012
Dublin, Ireland (Republic)
Parrots
Scottie Pippen (Pinapple GCC) Little Bandit (Hahns Macaw)
Christ.. this "friend" sounds like a terrible person! I'm not quite sure what way it works with animal protection laws etc over in the states but surely this isn't right!
Well done you for minding the chicks as well as you did :)

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I'm glad you saved them!

I would stay away from that guy! He sounds like he could be dangerous. Keep an eye on him and an ear out for more stories about his cruelty; maybe one day there might be enough evidence to have him banned from having pets. Is there any way you could talk to his mom behind his back and express your concerns? It sounds like this guy should be under psychiatric care. From the things you have told us about him, he is probably a psychopath (limited-to-no-conscience) and a professional should probably be keeping an eye on him.

OP
Kitty

Kitty

Apr 10, 2012
Birmingham. UK
Hi everyone.

The two chicks are doing great! They've both grown up and are now living outdoors in a coop seperate from my other chickens. One of the chicks is a hen and the other is a rooster.

When the chicks are a little older I'll introduce them to the rest of my flock and hopefully they'll all get along well, otherwise I'll find someone else to give them a nice home.

I still haven't seen or heard from my old school mate and I plan to keep it that way! The way he treated animals during his childhood is unacceptable and cruel, but for him to selfishly keep animals from urgent medical attention as an adult is totally unforgivable.

Most Reactions