My cockatiel just layed an egg without mating?

G12sbmx

Dec 17, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hey there :)

Hope you having a good day! Zenki just layed an egg without mating. She looks a bit stress, at the moment shes eating the lettuce i gave her this morning. Is there anything i should do to make her feel better? Like cover the cage or something? Should i remove the egg from the cage?

Thanks for reading 🙂✌🏼🙏🏼

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hey there :)

Hope you having a good day! Zenki just layed an egg without mating. She looks a bit stress, at the moment shes eating the lettuce i gave her this morning. Is there anything i should do to make her feel better? Like cover the cage or something? Should i remove the egg from the cage?

Thanks for reading 🙂✌🏼🙏🏼
This seems to be a problem a lot of cockatiel owners are having lately. There are several good recent threads on this exact topic.
One of them is called "I hoped this day would never come" by Owlet. Try searching for it.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)

here's the link to the thread mentioned above. It chronicles my journey with my girl and what I've done to make sure she stays healthy and nothing goes wrong. It also mentions some tactics you can use to prevent additional egg laying. Unfortunately I haven't had much success and am still struggling with the issue and may have to go the implant route. We will see.

Briburd

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
Don’t remove egg! They will continue to replace it if you do and could become a chronic egg layer. Obviously if it is broken you can for sanitary reasons but the best thing you can do from my understanding is reduce light/sun time, don’t over cuddle, take away any nesting type toys, and be sure to provide plenty of calcium rich nutrients. Most tiels lay 4-6 eggs per clutch so once she reaches that many and you leave them with her for almost 2 weeks you can remove them. Some people replace them with fake eggs but their is a great debate in weather they know if they are real or fake.

Most Reactions