Neleno used to be a one person Macaw

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Hello Members,
I am so happy to report that my 5 Year old Neleno GW Macaw may not be a one person Macaw after all.
For the last 4-5 years, the only person my GW would go to was my Female Aviary Vet.
My Friend and I was watching T.V one night and for no reason what so ever, my GW who would never go anywhere near my Friend, in fact hates him and hisses and tries to bite him whenever possible got it in his head that it was now okay to jump from my shoulder to my Friends hand.
My Friend has been for the last few years trying everything we knew to get him to step up, we have tried treats, toys, favorite perches. Bribes, sweet talk, stern talk and nothing worked.
He was not asked to step and my Friend was completely ignoring him when all of the sudden my Friend was somehow blessed with my GW attn.
Not only did he go to my Friend but also reached up and kissed my Friend. At first I thought, great this is when he rips his face off but to my surprize no blood or hospital visits.
I can't tell you enough about how amazing these Macaws are and when you never expect it, out of the blue, they change their minds about someone or something and all is well in their world.
So for all of those out there with a one person Macaw, you never know when they too will surprize you. Just had to post this story. Best of luck to all Joe:red:

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Yeah when they make a decision they don't hesitate they are all in and they expect you to be onboard and now. Good for you and your friend I know your all smiles.

Adinafloyd

Jul 8, 2012
Slaughter, La
Parrots
Jax (CAG)
Scarlet (Ekkie)
Toot (TAG)
(YNA-Nappy, Gone but never ever far from my heart)
awww great story. I hope our ekkie does this with hubby one day

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Glad to hear it... I guess Neleno has decided it's time to end the observational period for your friend, and that he's passed it ;)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
YAY Neleno!!! Great story, Joe. Thanks so much for sharing. :) So now here's to hoping that Niko will change his ways one day. I mean he "normally" allows all family members to pick him up, but touching him is a different story. When my hubby wants to pet him he lets out a scream like he's on the butcher block, lol.

OP
J

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
Thanks everyone, I'm so amazed by this. Fingers crossed and best wishes to all of you in hopes that your Feathered Friend too will one day amaze you in this way.
My Friend has not been able to pet Neleno yet, we thought it might be the best to start out a little bit each day. But when Neleno kissed him I completely lost it.
Thanks again Joe

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Kissed him with his massive beak? FAINT! How did you friend react to that? Was there like a moment of nobody breathing? LOL.

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Wow! That's great news! Did everyone almost pass out when Neleno's huge beak went in for the kiss? We still need pictures of the big guy!

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Thats great news Joe !
Hopefully this is the start of a wonderful relationship for Neleno and your friend :)
I probably would have ruined it all by screaming "watch out " when Neleno jumped off my shoulder and then he would have bit my friend because I scared him :( lolol.

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
OP
J

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
Here are a few pics

OP
J

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
Neleno standing in front of my 65 inch T V. He is so long that his tail does not even fit in the picture.

Attachments

• Neleno enjoying the T.V. He loves when fast things shoot across the screen and says What's that.jpg
    Neleno enjoying the T.V. He loves when fast things shoot across the screen and says What's that.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 363
OP
J

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
Another Pic

Attachments

• Joe, guapo, neleno.jpg
    Joe, guapo, neleno.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,537
OP
J

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
Neleno on my head

Attachments

• neleno learns to stand on my head 2.jpg
    neleno learns to stand on my head 2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 690
OP
J

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
This is both my boys posing for their picture. Guapo is my SI Male
Eclectus and approx 13 inches long. Neleno likes to stand on the chair with his tail dragging on the floor. That's my boys. Thanks Joe

OP
J

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
This is both my boys posing for their picture. Guapo is my SI Male approx 13 inches long and Neleno likes to stand on the chair with his tail dragging on the floor.

Attachments

• Neleno and Guapo, Hard to believe that Guapo wears the pants in this Family.jpg
    Neleno and Guapo, Hard to believe that Guapo wears the pants in this Family.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 425
OP
J

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
I'll take more current photos and post them. Best of luck to all. Joe

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Gorgeous birds Joe :)
I love the color of Guapo , such a beautiful green.
They look very happy together in those pictures , do they get along really well ?
Im very nervous having Stella and Baby on the same tree stand , but I watch them very closely and they usually stay on different ends anyways.
But its nice to have them out together while I read or get to watch the news or something.
TV time is limited in this house , lol. I would rather spend the free time on the computer then watching TV. But the birds love the commercials , they seem to get very animated when certain commercials come on , lolol. So we have to share the time.
I use the laptop and they get to listen to the TV :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Magnificent birds, Joe! Thanks so much for the pictures, I truly enjoyed them. You can really see just HOW big Neleno is. Incredible! And both Guapo and Neleno's feathers are just absolutely perfect.

How did you come up with their names? I love 'em both and wonder if they have a special meaning. :)

Most Reactions