Nervous Nellie!

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
I’m such a nervous Nellie! :eek: We are trying to prepare for a long weekend (Friday afternoon through Sunday mid-day) get-away. I have the dogs scheduled to be boarded in prison cells :eek: (in one of the better local boarding houses) … and the cats and birdies will be watched after by our pet sitter. This is sort of a trial run for our long vacation we are planning in September. To see how the dogs respond to kenneling and see how our pet sitter does, mainly with the birds (not too concerned about the kitties).

If I was swimming in money $$$, I would have someone come to stay at the house on a live-in basis. But, I’m not, so that’s not an option. :( I must board my dogs … and the thought of it makes me agitated, nervous and anxious. Their holding cells are … well, I won’t get into the details, but they just aren’t what Border Collies are used to. They will be put out into outdoor, big runs several times a day. I hope they are not neurotic by the time we make it home to pick them up.

The professional pet sitter (also an acquaintance of mine) should be “ok” with the basics of bird care … again, kitties are easy—food, H2O, cat box. But, I have a bit of hesitation about the birds. :(

Anyway, I will try to have a relaxing time “away from it all” … it is my first trip since closing my business and my first fly-fishing expedition in about 3 or so years. If I can keep calm about my brats and their care, I should be able to enjoy myself – or so I am hoping.

I can barely steal myself away from my animals … their wellbeing and welfare is of such concern to me. Nervous Nellie! :51: :51: :51:

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
I wouldnt be too worried, they will be fine. Altough, my one friend left her Rottweiler at a good kennel and she came back pregnant!:eek: I hope you have boys. Hm, i'm not helping here....

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Hello Nellie, When Jess was younger and she went into kennels I had a really horrible time all the time we were away, it was the first time I'd ever left them, but she was too old to travel, Anyway ended up coming back a day early rushing up to the kennels to get them, and when she saw us she came up to say hello, then turned round and followed the young girl back to the kennels. :eek:

I didn't know whether to be pleased that they had looked after her, or upset that she obviously hadn't missed us. :D

Try not to be too worried, I'm sure that they will have a great time, and be really happy to see you when you get back.

Wilma, that has just sent Nervous Nellie rushing to the phone to cancel their stay. :D :D

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
WILMA! You made me so nervous I cancelled my trip!!! LOL

Actually, I did choose to stay home this weekend (wasn't feeling all that great along with worrying about all the munchkins--decided I would feel better to stick around the house and care for them myself). I sent Dan on his way and he will meet our friend and her son tomorrow for a backcountry outing. Then he'll have a wife-free day on Sunday to fly-fish!

:29:

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
I know how you feel, i too am forced to leave my babies with my mom when i go on excursions, and the last time i was away, when i returned my indian myna had died. Oh, its so frustrating, cause they lie to you telling you oh they're just fine, and then its not. But i've got a friend that takes care of Pikkie for me when i'm away, so i feel better about that, i hate leaving my kids.:(

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
The last time we boarded the dogs, when I came home I offered my hand to Ben, my gentle Border Collie, and said, "Hi!!! Come here mister, I missed you so much!" ... he blinked, squinted his eyes and jerked his head back away from my hand as though I had intended to smack him! :(

Broke my heart and I was to blame. :(

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
when we moved here there were just to vets and we had to be gone for almost a month so we boarded Bunny at what we thought was the better of the two as they were mini kennels with plenty of room to move around and such. Well we get home go to pick her up and her jowls are swollen and red - the tech lady says "she must of just bitten herself" I was so mad cuz that was so outragious. So she kept getting worse and acting sick so we took her to the different vet and was able to help her get better for a while but she died 3 months later from a similar infection. We had never had this type of thing before.

So I actually got really lucky there is a family we trust and know that lives really close to us so it ake care of their pets and kids for free and then they take care of ours. Since they live so close they can come by several times a day to say Hi to everyone. THis week I am taking care of their dogs,goats, and mini horse :)

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
:( Oh dear Kelli, what a heartbreaking experience! I am so glad you now have someone capable and trustworthy to care for your babies so you can travel without fear or worry.

Wilma, I didn't cancel because of (((you))) (I was only teasing ;)) ... I think I worried myself sick to my stomach and thought it would be best to stay and watch after my hooligans myself. :29:

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
Phew, now thats a relief, almost thought it was my fault. Well, i think none of us can actually enjoy a holiday without our fids baing there!:D

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Phew, now thats a relief, almost thought it was my fault. Well, i think none of us can actually enjoy a holiday without our fids baing there!:D

Oh sweet Wilma, I'm sorry, I should have used better Emoticons to show I was teasing. :(

No, no, not your doing at all! It is my nervous nature that causes me to worry myself ill. And, what pray tell am I going to do when our 10 day trip in September comes?? YIKES!! (I'll be so nervous, they'll have me in a straight-jacket in the hospital! ROFL). :eek:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thats the truth Wilma, When Jess was younger we used to take them all with us where ever we went. Now she can't travel neither do I. (That and theres far too many of them to take them all, I'd need a large truck I think. :D)

Deanna, its not worth going away if your only going to be miserable the whole time, you made the right decision for you, and Dan still get to go fishing. :D

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Thats the truth Wilma, When Jess was younger we used to take them all with us where ever we went. Now she can't travel neither do I. (That and theres far too many of them to take them all, I'd need a large truck I think. :D)

Deanna, its not worth going away if your only going to be miserable the whole time, you made the right decision for you, and Dan still get to go fishing. :D

LOL I do keep calling Dan on his cell-y-fone making sure that he is missing me, though! :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Well of course, and I hope he's giving you the right assurances there. :D

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Well of course, and I hope he's giving you the right assurances there. :D

Yeah, it would be a bit of a bummer iffen he said he was having a good time without me! ROFL!! :rolleyes:

Most Reactions