Nest box material question

yoelleoy

Mar 6, 2017
Sweden
Parrots
"Jojo" Lovebird
So today I went to buy some more toys for Jojo, since I have had him for around 3 months and his cage still looks like this.
yoelleoy-albums-jojo-s-new-nest-picture18152-img-20170612-170943.jpg

I got him some wooden perchs and a little spinning ball toy, but I noticed a small nest box thing and thought that Jojo, being a scaredycat, would like a place where he could hide if he wanted. Here are some pics of it.
yoelleoy-albums-jojo-s-new-nest-picture18151-img-20170612-171012.jpg

yoelleoy-albums-jojo-s-new-nest-picture18150-img-20170612-171015.jpg

yoelleoy-albums-jojo-s-new-nest-picture18149-img-20170612-171022.jpg

So the questions I have are, do I need to put something inside the nest to make it soft? If yes what can I use. And also where in the cage would it be best placed. I am thinking of putting it on the left side since it is kinda empty, I am not sure if it would be better to put it on the left wall (where the only door is, but I am always sitting to the right of the cage) or back wall. Just to clarify the nest isn't for breeding or anything, just simply so Jojo has a place to feel safe and hide.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Please remove the nest. Unfortunately Jojo doesn't speak English and can't be told not to see it as a breeding spot. Also he shouldn't NEED anywhere to "hide" if his surroundings are safe. Nests like this encourage hormone production and breeding behavior even in single birds, which can be deadly. A dear friend of mine just lost a beloved pet to egg binding; nothing that encourages breeding hormones in non breeding birds is a safe choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Y

yoelleoy

Mar 6, 2017
Sweden
Parrots
"Jojo" Lovebird
Please remove the nest. Unfortunately Jojo doesn't speak English and can't be told not to see it as a breeding spot. Also he shouldn't NEED anywhere to "hide" if his surroundings are safe. Nests like this encourage hormone production and breeding behavior even in single birds, which can be deadly. A dear friend of mine just lost a beloved pet to egg binding; nothing that encourages breeding hormones in non breeding birds is a safe choice.

I never put it in, I was waiting for replies. Guess I'll just keep it in case in the future I ever want to breed.

scotty1204

Jun 13, 2017
Paris Ontario Canada
Parrots
Pair of Green Cheeks/ Pineapple and a Yellow side. Sonny and Cher
I have a pair of Green cheeks/ never sexed but are sure VERY FRIENDLY. Would it be possible to breed them at home using a breeding box or nest. They are 6 months old, not sure when they can breed.

Thanks in advance

Bob

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Please don't. That's way too young, they are probably related, and baby parrots need a lot of care and have very intricate developmental needs that a human family will have a hard time providing.

Flow

Jun 15, 2017
QLD Australia
Parrots
Budgies, cockatiels and Indian ringnecks, scaly breasted lorikeet, rainbow lorikeet
yoelleoy that's a canary and finch nest, so will only be usefull if you plan on breeding them in future

Scotty1204 I agree with SilverSage. Other than being underage I wouldn't be breeding them if there is a possibility of being related, plus same sex birds can pair up and you could either end up with two males and nothing or two females always laying and again nothing to show but two exhausted hens

Most Reactions