New adopter.

barw33zy

Sep 13, 2011
Parrots
Sonny Sun Conure
I am new to the forum, so far everyone has been very nice and helpful. My bird story...

My wife and I fell in infatuation with a scarlet macaw at our local pet store, we went in a few days in a row to handle him and he was quite a character. We went in the final day planning on purchasing him, but he was being quite a butthead this particular day. Sadly, I realized that we need more bird experience before bringing one of these large creatures into our home, as I hadn't owned birds since childhood.

I found a lovebird at the local humane society that had been stray, and decided to adopt him and learn everything he can teach me. When I walked into the pet store to buy a cage and supplies for our new friend, the Macaw greeted me with several hi and hellos, and the employee at the counter said,"he likes you" :(

Ricky has been doing very well since I brought him home yesterday morning. Not so much as an attempt at a bite, and I let him out of his cage this afternoon to fly around a bit. Hopefully he will eventually allow us to handle him without much trouble. He has already drank from a shot glass in my hand(as I was filling his mirror-perch with water) and eaten millet spray from my fingers. Any tips are much appreciated and thanks in advance!

Kawaii

Sep 14, 2011
Hawaii
Parrots
So damn cute & learning fast!!
Once again, that's a really cute/sad story. I know what it's like to see a beautiful graceful macaw and feel like your need each other… When I was 10 or 11 my heart was set on a Hyacinth macaw—though incredibly unrealistic. Hahaha. However you did the absolute best thing!

You gave a stray a home, what could be better than that? Who knows what your loves past home was like? I just hope it was a loving caring home, and if not, I know you'll be able to give him all the love he needs. You've already show your concern for him, which translate to caring love!

I'm almost positive that you and your bird will bond in no time—and I hope he stays with your family for many years to come!
Have fun on the site! I'm new, too, and I really like it here.
-Leia :green2:

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Congratulations on your new baby! Welcome to the forum, you will learn lots here! I too recently adopted an lca that was not used to being handled. I started by sitting next to her cage and talking to her, feeding her treats out of my hand, reading to her etc. I couldn't even get her out of her cage, now I can get her to step up on my hand and take her out. She doesn't come out on her own but I am hoping she will start to explore soon! She loves showers, coming out and interacting with the family. Give him time and he will come around.

OP
barw33zy

barw33zy

Sep 13, 2011
Parrots
Sonny Sun Conure
It was age 10 for me too, I was at a pet store with my mom when I saw this big parrot(either a gw or scarlet macaw, I dont remember exactly), and I was so enticed by how colorful he was, so I stood right in front of his cage and said "hello." He turned his head and said "hello" clear as day right back and I thought it was so funny that an animal had talked to me so I laughed. Well, he laughed right back causing me to laugh and the harder I laughed the harder he did. I stood there sharing laughter with a bird for a good 5-10 minutes before my mom found me. I can only imagine what she was thinking when she first saw me.

I'm pretty sure that's why she bought the cockatiels, which I had taught to whistle a few different things and say "pretty bird", I dont remember how or why they died, one shortly after the other though. Maybe teflon, we didnt know about that. There is still so much I dont know, but this is a good place to learn. And we are having a lot of fun and enjoyment with our lovebird! Thanks for replying to my thread!

OP
barw33zy

barw33zy

Sep 13, 2011
Parrots
Sonny Sun Conure
Thanks for the response brian. Its reassuring to hear your experience. I am not familiar with "Ica", I tried googleing it but no joy. What kind of bird is it, or is it an abbreviation? Thanks again!

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
lca: Lilac crown amazon. Sorry, it was an abbreviation.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Congratulations on your new baby! I'm sure you'll give him a great home - I myself love macaws and there is one in particular I'd love to take home but he isn't for sale unfortunately, but neither is he well looked after.. poor baby. :(

I'm sure your lovebird will give you so much love and joy anyway and well done on taking on a rescue!

Most Reactions