New cockatiel owner here!

MarcyB411

Sep 13, 2011
Hello everyone! My name is Marcy and I just rescued a breeding pair of cockatiels. I posted under the specified section regarding an issue I'm having. The male is dominant and protective over the female, which limits what I feel I can do with them. I'm not sure if I should seperate them, etc. Also, any other tips would be greatly appreciated! The male is a pearl and the female is gray and white (not sure what her coloring is called).

OP
M

MarcyB411

Sep 13, 2011
I ended up seperating them. I have been working daily with the grey and white one, Angel. Now she will sit on my finger! Right now she's decided to sit on my head. Not sure about that one! She does get aggressive sometimes and bites. Any tips?:white1:

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
When I got Bob his favorite perch was my head. I would pick him up and move him to my shoulder. He got the idea and now will just sit there for hours. The mess that creates is a bit annoying.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I would think that separating them is a good idea. I probably wouldn't let them hang out on your head. It can be a dominance thing. It's also the highest place they can sit, which makes them feel safer, but they should learn to feel safe with you when they're not at the highest vantage point. Plus, poop in the hair isn't fun.

Most Reactions

Latest posts