New amazon owner questions

joe911

Mar 23, 2010
Hello everyone,

First of all thanks for having a forum, i have read back all the old threads and learned alot.

After Mont's of searching and debating what parrot to get i decided on a Yellow Napped Amazon, i got him 3 weeks ago he is a male 5 Mont's old his name is Shuki, its my 2 bird i Had a couple of years ago a small bird i lived out of country so i had to sell him, its a dream come true i have dreamed all my life to get a companion parrot, so i prepared my self pretty good with reading a couple of books articles and buying the right size cage, hes doing very good i feed him pellets by kayte and I'm giving him fruits and veggies ,

I have a couple of questions,

He will eat from my hand but he doesn't allow me to touch him, I'm sitting and playing with him peekaboo target training him he will play with me but he will not step up unless he if on the floor but then he just trys to get off me, he was hand raised so i hope he will come around, he usually doesn't bite only nibbles my finger the only time he bit me is when i forst him to step up to put him in the carrier, i did something what i have read i took my Little girl next to his cage and scratched her head and i asked her to show enjoyment and it worked he came to run very close with his head forward asking me to scratch his head he did let me get very close but the second i touched his head he changed hid mind and took off this game was repeated a couple of times, i will try again tomorrow hopefully he will let me... i know it takes some time he should trust you but how long can it take? will he ever wanna step up?
I have read that baby zons most have 12 hours sleep a night, here is the question, his cage is in our leaving room where all the action is till late, i put him to sleep at 7:00 cover him very good i try to keep the room pretty dark, but he wont sleep i can hear him eating and playing and making small noises when the TV is on or he hears me taking, do birds really have to sleep or this is called sleeping? the last 2 days he stared to scream in the afternoon i figured maybe hes tired, so i put him in his carrier and put him in a small dark room where there is no noise so he can sleep but i don't know if I'm doing the right thing, i think it helped cuz the last 2 days he was very quit he did not talk alot like he used to, maybe hes upset that's why he doesn't scream and talk much???

One more question is how to give him to eat, for now i fill up i half cup if pellets and after 2-3 days when its almost empty i give him fresh ones so he basically has pellets all the time , and 2 times a day i will throw him in some fruit and veggies, and snakes when he behaves :), if this good?

Any help would be appreciated Thanks in advance,

Joe

dranger1108

May 9, 2008
Parsons, Kansas
Parrots
5 love birds
6 cockatiels
2 green cheeks
I have a 5 year old amazon.... he doesn't like me to touch him, but he does like the occasional scratches on the back of the neck. If he's on his cage he refuses to step up, but he will when he is away from his cage.

OP
J

joe911

Mar 23, 2010
Thanks for sharing

How long do you have him? do you feel like he will stay like this forever?

dranger1108

May 9, 2008
Parsons, Kansas
Parrots
5 love birds
6 cockatiels
2 green cheeks
I have had Milo for about 2 months now. He doesn't want to be touched and his old owner said he was that way with her too. I don't think amazons are cuddle birds, but he shows affection for me in other ways.
He gets upset when I leave the house, he loves to wrestle with my hand, and he loves to talk and sing to me.
I can get him to step up when he is off his cage. So I'm working on him getting use to being carried around other parts of the house. I need to make more playstands for him. He plays well by himself but loves to be able to see me all the time. Of course even though he can play by himself, he loves to play with me too...
Milo is in our living room too. We can stay up late but in the evening I turn off the light and he is happy with that. He doesn't mind the tv going. If fact if it's totally quiet it seems to freak him out. In the morning we open his cage and let him play all day. The only time I shut the cage is if I have to leave the house.

OP
J

joe911

Mar 23, 2010
wow Shuki has a very similar personality he will step up anywhere but his cage, and will not allow me even to touch his feet :11: but he is loves playing with his toys in singing on top of his cage,

How do you got him to his play stand if he doesn't step up ? its really hard for me i got him a nice play stand and i cant get him of his cage i have to chase him till he falls off the cage and then he steps in my like a little baby but he doest like sitting in my hand he just tries to got off, also he cant sit still for 1 second he has to chow on something all the time .

dranger1108

May 9, 2008
Parsons, Kansas
Parrots
5 love birds
6 cockatiels
2 green cheeks
I put his playstand right next to the cage.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 159
OP
J

joe911

Mar 23, 2010
Milo is very beautiful:) good idea but my cage is much taller then his playstand i will try it i will put some treats on will let you know,

Thanks.

Most Reactions

Latest posts