New and overwhelmed

sultrypickle

Dec 5, 2017
Hello all! I joined today because everyone here seems to have a vast amount of knowledge that I'm sure will be crucial for me in the near future. I recently adopted a sulphur-crested cockatoo from a lady who due to health reasons is no longer able to care for her animals. I Am the second person to take her in and I'm looking forward to working with her. That said, she comes with many more issues then previously anticipated and I am a novice at raising large birds so I am feeling very overwhelmedwith everything I have to work on. I look forward to reading through the forums and learning from all of you.

Attachments

• 20171127_131953.jpg
    20171127_131953.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 87

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
You do have a challenge in this bird, but with ParrotForums all things are possible. Can you find any details about the previous life? Kept in the cage, not handled, lived with dogs, kids, or cats...scared of sticks or hands, was there another bird or cage mate, diet...anything you learn might be an important clue.

The cockatoo forum is a great place to start. The I Love Amazons” thread in the Amazon forum is widely applicable to most parrots.

In addition to the detective work, a visit to an avian vet is crucial. Full blood work including heavy metal poisoning. You want to get a good diet plan in place. Our macaw loves Harrison’s pepper formula above all else, and we keep trying to sneak fresh foods in. There was a recent post by SillieN who has good luck treating pluckers. She gets little home made sweaters on them, and sometimes a wide ribbon collar, to make it hard for them to pluck, nd she also feeds a supplement because they need to produce keratin protein for the feathers.

Thank you for taking this little bird into your heart and home. They seem like a very resilient species, and you may be rewarded with an entertaining and loving companion. Good on both of you!

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Hi and welcome, good on you for taking him in :) As for being overwhelmed, I can appreciate that, i remember the first few days with my african grey, it felt like the first time you bring your first child home from the hospital and thinking...'now what'! Im sure you will soon start bonding and understanding each other. So good luck and im sure you will get a huge amount of support from the forum, everybody has helped me out enormously.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, kudos for giving this bird a chance! Large cockatoos are supremely challenging but can be incredibly rewarding. Equal measures of knowledge, patience, and love are helpful!

Please post specific issues and questions; we've all been in your shoes and know it is easy to feel overwhelmed!

So many applicable threads to sample, here are a few:
http://www.parrotforums.com/cockatoos/17694-owning-cockatoo.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Taking in and loving a parrot like yours excuses quite a few sins, when you face the big guy. The cockatoo people on here are very nice and really knowledgable!

Most Reactions

Latest posts