New B&g

Newbirdmomma

Dec 11, 2015
Media
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
I just got a B&g macaw about a month ago he is eight years old and he has been a joy to have! The previous parents didn't handle him much and when he says step up I go to get him and he lunges at me we have successfully stepped up a couple times recently but I don't know how to get him to stop lunging I do walk away when he does it ( I am a dog trainer and that's all I know to do any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! My first bird is a big bird with a big beak I'm sure I will get bit but I would like to be able to hold and love on him!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 75
OP
Newbirdmomma

Newbirdmomma

Dec 11, 2015
Media
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
Oh i guess I should have mentioned that! His name is Pepe and he turned 8 years old on the 11 th of last month! I have never owned a bird and now I feel like I have wasted so many years not having one ! I'm so in love

Iholm5

Apr 22, 2015
Milwaukee, WI
Parrots
Proud parront to...
Tiki (U2), Zelda (GCC), Bender (Tiel), Pickles (Parrotlet), Pax (IRN), Goku (Sun), Jack (Caique), Moko (Crested Gecko), Goose (Red Lored Amazon)
Welcome! You have a beautiful macaw. I don't know if the 'lunging' thing is similar to what my U2 does, but we have found the more social Tiki is, the less bitey he is. We have him pretty much everywhere we go when he's out during the day, including walking to grab a drink or something. I can also tell you the worst thing with any bird is yelling at, or getting angry with it when it bites.

Most Reactions

Latest posts