New Babies

NDCAG

Apr 11, 2014
Hello all!

I have had two CAGs in the past and I am now getting two babies. I am purchasing the pair from a local family that has just had a premature baby and they need to get the dust from their home. The man I am buying the birds from LOVES these birds, he finished their hand feeding and is quite bonded with them.

The female is 11 months old, and the male is 9 months old. They have been caged together since they were very young and are bonded with each other. They have a huge Avian Adventures Hacienda cage H: 60" x W: 48" x D: 34", lots of toys. and a huge 48" tall Java tree. I also have a Kings aluminum cage, two Kings aluminum travel cages, and another play stand they could hang out on together. My point is that I can have some type of cage or perch is all the main rooms of my home and they can move about freely when I am home.

I've been told the female does not care for women, I am a single woman with very few male visitors to my home. Any suggestions for this situation? Both of my CAGs in the past were male.

Both birds are free flighted, which I am okay with as I intend to train them for recall (with an aviator harness and safety lead).

My other question is this... They are obviously named already and the current owner says they both say their names. But I hate the names... they are both very young and I will have them for many many years to come. Any thoughts regarding changing their names? (currently M: Tiki, F: Lilly) I'm thinking about M: Harley, F: Phoenix... but have not settled on them yet and really looking for some opinions.

Their current owner has been absolutely wonderful with them. He has an obvious bond with the birds, has had them on a healthy pellet since day 1, and has tried to do everything right from the beginning. The one thing he has missed is that they are not socialized with strangers. I know I will need to start from the beginning and earn their trust.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Congrats on your new babies:) I have a CAG, and he hated my husband when we first got him, but now tolerates him. He still doesn't like him, but he doesn't try to eat him now.
Greys can definitely pick who they like and don't like, but since she is still young, she may surprise you and bond right away.

I changed some of my bird's names, and if I couldn't come up with one that rhymed, then I used the new name and the old name together until they got used to the new name, then dropped the old name. My YCA was named Rollie, and we renamed him Dexter...so for a month or so we called him DexterRollie, and then when he started responding to Dexter we dropped Rollie completely.
Please share pictures when they come home!

OP
N

NDCAG

Apr 11, 2014
IMG_2582.jpg The birds... 9 month old male and 11 month old female

IMG_2583.jpg Their awesome tree!!

Changing name ideas again... M: Phoenix, F: Willow. I like to put thought behind the names I choose. I like Phoenix because its a mythological bird that lives forever. When it dies it is resurrected from the ashes of its predecessor. Willow is lean and graceful and if you think of a ***** willow, they are soft and grey.

Getting closer to bringing my birds home. Getting very excited.

I have once other concern regarding the birds. I have three ceiling fans in my house. The one in my living room (where their cage will be) is on 24/7 and is vital for air movement in my home. Any suggestions on how to make this safe for the birds? I've never had a problem with birds and the ceiling fan, but I've also never had fully flighted birds that flew. They've all been floor dwellers. These two have been free flighted their whole life and readily fly from cage to tree. I plan on having the cage and tree in the same room, but on the other end of the room from where the ceiling fan is. To fly from cage to tree, they would not have to go anywhere near the fan. However, that doesn't change the fact that its on. Has anyone had issues with a ceiling fan with their birds?

Last edited:

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
Congrats on your new babies. Love their tree and they are both gorgeous birds.

I have a Willow here too, though not a bird.
WQ3Pzx2.jpg

Moose

Feb 17, 2016
Gorgeous. I know you're so excited. I haven't had issues with my past birds and the ceiling fans, but they were floor birds as well. They were flighted, but not big fliers.

You may need to turn them off as they adjust and kind of figure out how it will go. Maybe you can get a room fan? I've contemplated that for when I get another. Something bladeless, and then hiding the cord. The air flow in my living room is horrible without one.

Welcome!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
View attachment 16418 The birds... 9 month old male and 11 month old female

View attachment 16419 Their awesome tree!!

Changing name ideas again... M: Phoenix, F: Willow. I like to put thought behind the names I choose. I like Phoenix because its a mythological bird that lives forever. When it dies it is resurrected from the ashes of its predecessor. Willow is lean and graceful and if you think of a ***** willow, they are soft and grey.

Getting closer to bringing my birds home. Getting very excited.

I have once other concern regarding the birds. I have three ceiling fans in my house. The one in my living room (where their cage will be) is on 24/7 and is vital for air movement in my home. Any suggestions on how to make this safe for the birds? I've never had a problem with birds and the ceiling fan, but I've also never had fully flighted birds that flew. They've all been floor dwellers. These two have been free flighted their whole life and readily fly from cage to tree. I plan on having the cage and tree in the same room, but on the other end of the room from where the ceiling fan is. To fly from cage to tree, they would not have to go anywhere near the fan. However, that doesn't change the fact that its on. Has anyone had issues with a ceiling fan with their birds?

Hello I can see why you are so excited they are adorable. From what you have said they have been very well cared for and loved by their current parronts, which is fantastic for you to take over.

It's easy to get swept away with all the fluffy stuff - we all do it, don those rose tinted glasses. In preparation for their homecoming can I ask if you have done the math(s) re caring for these two, costs of food and veterinary care etc when required, are you prepared for this? I find just my one bird quite expensive.

Regarding the ceiling fans sensibly flighted birds and whirring blades just do not mix and is just not worth the chance, honestly! It will be necessary for you to look at alternatives to this.

We will all look forward to further updates on how they are getting on and the new names you have chosen. Wishing you much joy with these beauties. :)

Last edited:

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
They are adorable. I'm sad for their owner having to part with them. I'm sure he's comforted that they will be going somewhere where they they will be cherished. If he's going to continue to be in contact, changing their names might be a bit uncomfortable for you, but names are very important in my household, so I get that you don't want to call them names you don't like for the rest of your life. When renaming any pet, it's been said that if you stick with something that sounds like the old name that the pet hardly notices the change.

I can say the ceiling fan is a huge danger to even partially flighted birds, who can get enough altitude to get into its strike zone. I have one in nearly every room, and they just don't get turned on. They are just an ornament I dust. As far as airflow in your house, a simple box fan would probably help with that and still be safe.

Looking forward to your updates on the babies.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome to the forums! Your new additions are stunning! You must be overjoyed. Looking forward to hearing more about them. Love the Java tree.

I have to agree with the others, ceiling fans and birds are an awful combination. According to the bird, you may or may not ever have a problem, but birds seldom recover from a single encounter with moving ceiling fan blades.

Mimsy, is your Willow a...bunny? Sorry, I don't know too many bunnies, the ears I'm pretty sure, are bunny ears, but that face looks more like a muppet, how precious.

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
Mimsy, is your Willow a...bunny? Sorry, I don't know too many bunnies, the ears I'm pretty sure, are bunny ears, but that face looks more like a muppet, how precious.

Yep she's a little muppet bunny. :)

OP
N

NDCAG

Apr 11, 2014
Wow I just realized how long itā€™s been since I was on here. To answer this very very old questionā€¦ I had taken in a scarlet macaw. He was doing well and had passed his quarantine period so I moved him into the same room as my grey. He ended up getting on top of my greys cage and scared him to death. Literally. No injuries, no biting, he just died in his cage. I am still heart broken over him and I rehomed that macaw to a man that absolutely adored him. It was a great match but I couldnā€™t stand to look at him after I lost my grey. I still play back videos of him talking. He had such an amazing vocabularyā€¦ he like to say ā€œSponge Bob squareā€¦ā€ thatā€™s it, he forgot the pants!! He also used to say ā€œTickle, tickle, tickle, tickle, tickleā€ It makes me laugh every time I watch his videos. He was a cool bird and gone too soon.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello all!

I have had two CAGs in the past and I am now getting two babies. I am purchasing the pair from a local family that has just had a premature baby and they need to get the dust from their home. The man I am buying the birds from LOVES these birds, he finished their hand feeding and is quite bonded with them.

The female is 11 months old, and the male is 9 months old. They have been caged together since they were very young and are bonded with each other. They have a huge Avian Adventures Hacienda cage H: 60" x W: 48" x D: 34", lots of toys. and a huge 48" tall Java tree. I also have a Kings aluminum cage, two Kings aluminum travel cages, and another play stand they could hang out on together. My point is that I can have some type of cage or perch is all the main rooms of my home and they can move about freely when I am home.

I've been told the female does not care for women, I am a single woman with very few male visitors to my home. Any suggestions for this situation? Both of my CAGs in the past were male.

Both birds are free flighted, which I am okay with as I intend to train them for recall (with an aviator harness and safety lead).

My other question is this... They are obviously named already and the current owner says they both say their names. But I hate the names... they are both very young and I will have them for many many years to come. Any thoughts regarding changing their names? (currently M: Tiki, F: Lilly) I'm thinking about M: Harley, F: Phoenix... but have not settled on them yet and really looking for some opinions.

Their current owner has been absolutely wonderful with them. He has an obvious bond with the birds, has had them on a healthy pellet since day 1, and has tried to do everything right from the beginning. The one thing he has missed is that they are not socialized with strangers. I know I will need to start from the beginning and earn their trust.
I think you should name them whatever you want because as you said you are going to have these baby birds for a long time. They won't care.

Most Reactions

Latest posts