OP
Maria_Metropolis

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
LOL! I know, and nothing bothers him. He's falling asleep to "Star Wars, Revenge of the Sith" right now, and just pooped.

I'm in touch with his breeder on facebook too, so she's giving me advice. His favorite past time besides cuddling is eating.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I'm not generally fond of Cockatiel but I have to comment this time because Muffin is gorgeous! He reminds me of a little chubby owl LOL. Is it me or he's a bit chubby? Anyway he is very very sweet looking! congrats!!

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
The breeder clipped his wings, so he's not able to fly. He just gently flutters to the ground. Perhaps I should do a cosmetic clip the next time his feathers grow in so he has some flight capability, but he doesn't go to the moon and back. What do you think? I think he should still be able to fly.

At 7 weeks he's not fully weaned and barely fledged for that matter and the breeder already clipped him before he had time to master his flying ability. This is one more negative thing about buying an unweaned baby. I would definitively let his flight feathers grow so that hopefully he can learn to properly fly before being clipped again. Learning to fly is very important for the mental and physical development of juveniles and helps their overall balance and self confidence.
Usually a breeder will wait until the baby has fledged and has mastered flying before clipping him.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Awww, Muffin is gorgeous! I have never seen that colouring before:) Congratulations!

OP
Maria_Metropolis

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014
The breeder clipped his wings, so he's not able to fly. He just gently flutters to the ground. Perhaps I should do a cosmetic clip the next time his feathers grow in so he has some flight capability, but he doesn't go to the moon and back. What do you think? I think he should still be able to fly.

At 7 weeks he's not fully weaned and barely fledged for that matter and the breeder already clipped him before he had time to master his flying ability. This is one more negative thing about buying an unweaned baby. I would definitively let his flight feathers grow so that hopefully he can learn to properly fly before being clipped again. Learning to fly is very important for the mental and physical development of juveniles and helps their overall balance and self confidence.
Usually a breeder will wait until the baby has fledged and has mastered flying before clipping him.

Yes, I was really bummed that she clipped his wings. I am going to let his flight feathers grow in. He's almost weaned though. He didn't want much of his formula today, and spent much the day eating his regular food. He turned 8 weeks today.

Last edited:
OP
Maria_Metropolis

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014
I'm not generally fond of Cockatiel but I have to comment this time because Muffin is gorgeous! He reminds me of a little chubby owl LOL. Is it me or he's a bit chubby? Anyway he is very very sweet looking! congrats!!

I think he is rather fluffy and large for his age. I've seen older cockatiels that look smaller, at say ten weeks. Thanks.

Chubby little owl is a good description.

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
hes so adorable!! ur so lucky you get such a friendly bird, most birds dont get comfortable so fast. plus hes still small!!! you've basically won a lottery here :p have fun with him!

OP
Maria_Metropolis

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014
Well, to be honest, if I was single, I would probably get a rescue bird. We went to a rescue, and there was one bird, a Jardine, that was adorable and I loved him, but my kids didn't take to him, and he was nippy. I had to make sure we obtained a bird that the whole family could love and be happy with right away. Birds are not dogs, and they require different handling and treatment than a dog. This is something my children can easily learn with a hand tame Cockatiel.

I was thinking of a Budgie, but they still take work to hand tame, so when this little guy took to me right away, and I knew I could also hand feed him a little, and he was beautiful as well, and the kids weren't scared of him, I found all the criteria necessary. I also know that Cockatiels make fabulous pets from what I hear. I can also teach him to learn to eat new foods more easily than an older Cockatiel, which is important for his health.

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
true. i get what you mean. some bird are so special and unique, you can relate to them immediately!! when id gone to get my budgie, somehow i felt really attracted to him. no one else really seemed right for me!! well im glad you found ur perfect bird!!

OP
Maria_Metropolis

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014
true. i get what you mean. some bird are so special and unique, you can relate to them immediately!! when id gone to get my budgie, somehow i felt really attracted to him. no one else really seemed right for me!! well im glad you found ur perfect bird!!

When I first saw him at the bird fair, I was holding him, and he wasn't afraid of me at all, and gave me one look in the eyes with his cute little face and protruding beak, and I was mush. I WANTED that bird. After ten minutes of handling him, he didn't even want to go back to the breeder.

Here's a new picture of him in my husband's sweater. We've only had him a week and a half, but he's so calm, and acclimated to the whole family.:grey:

6br4.jpg

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
:Daaaawwww?? hes so sweet!! he looks all settled at home!! hes reallllly pretty!!! seriously!! look at his big round chubby face!! hes soooo adorable!!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Because of Muffin's coloration, Muffin is most likely a girl just so that you know.

OP
Maria_Metropolis

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014
Because of Muffin's coloration, Muffin is most likely a girl just so that you know.

He was already sexed by a top avian vet as a male. He's super vocal too, like males.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Scott McDonald?? If so he's gonna lose that pearl....It's strange to find that coloring on a male but when they molt they will lose that pearl.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
beautiful Maria!! and sweet.....it was meant to be, your are very fortunate!

OP
Maria_Metropolis

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014
Scott McDonald?? If so he's gonna lose that pearl....It's strange to find that coloring on a male but when they molt they will lose that pearl.

Yes, that's what the breeder told me, that he would lose the pearl markings.

Yes, the vet was Scott McDonald.

OP
Maria_Metropolis

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014
beautiful Maria!! and sweet.....it was meant to be, your are very fortunate!

Thanks Crimson,
I think we're both fortunate. He gets a lot of love, attention, toys and care.

I was at a bird store today that takes impeccable care of their babies. There was a beautiful cockatiel that had already been sold, a white face like mine. The man who bought him was in there, and I said, "oh that's your bird?" and he said, "no, it's hers." He pointed to his 5 year old looking granddaughter. Then he was looking at toys, and picked out a tiny one, and said, "I don't know if we'll have room for that toy." I took that to mean he had a tiny cage, and he was going to let the 5 year old be responsible for the bird. I was upset, and had to leave.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
lets hope not, that would not be a suitable life for any bird

Most Reactions

Latest posts