New Baby GCC question

estasko

Aug 9, 2015
Hello everyone,

I just got my pineapple GC Friday, she is 6 1/2 weeks old and still being hand fed 3 times a day. It has been a while since I had fed, 16 years. So my question is, this baby conure non stop chirps any time I am near her, hold her, pretty much anytime anyone touches her, I have never seen it to this extreme. Now my assumption is that she is behaving like a baby bird when she sees her Mother she chirps, but it is non stop any time I handle her. Is this normal? Should I not handle her other than feeding until she is weened? Should I handle her more or will it encourage it? I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing, I obviously don't want to encourage the noise at but she is still so young I am not sure that can happen? But I also want to handle her plenty to create a bond. What do you think about this and what do you think is best?

Last edited:

Sarvesh

Aug 9, 2015
Hello everyone,

I just got my pineapple GC Friday, she is 6 1/2 weeks old and still being hand fed 3 times a day. It has been a while since I had fed, 16 years. So my question is, this baby conure non stop chirps any time I am near her, hold her, pretty much anytime anyone touches her, I have never seen it to this extreme. Now my assumption is that she is behaving like a baby bird when she sees her Mother she chirps, but it is non stop any time I handle her. Is this normal? Should I not handle her other than feeding until she is weened? Should I handle her more or will it encourage it? I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing, I obviously don't want to encourage the noise at but she is still so young I am not sure that can happen? But I also want to handle her plenty to create a bond. What do you think about this and what do you think is best?

I'm pretty new to conures but do know quite a bit about other birds, and i know that conures are pretty chirpy in general... i wouldn't hesitate to handle her because if you start handling her now she will be more friendly as she grows older - and conures do love attention, and considering she is being hand raised hand fed, i can't her imagine not enjoying your touch unless you are being too rough with her or something which i feel like you know better lol. but basically you can tell if she isn't enjoying hte attention if she's trying to escape from your hand or something, but as long as you don't force any petting or handling and let her know you're a friend you should be fine.

OP
E

estasko

Aug 9, 2015
Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new to conures but do know quite a bit about other birds, and i know that conures are pretty chirpy in general... i wouldn't hesitate to handle her because if you start handling her now she will be more friendly as she grows older - and conures do love attention, and considering she is being hand raised hand fed, i can't her imagine not enjoying your touch unless you are being too rough with her or something which i feel like you know better lol. but basically you can tell if she isn't enjoying hte attention if she's trying to escape from your hand or something, but as long as you don't force any petting or handling and let her know you're a friend you should be fine.

Thank you! I do have a ton of experience with other birds, just not conures so the chirping worried me a little but I figured it was fairly normal. She loves being held, as soon as I pick her up she just wants to tuck in as close as she can to me even though she is chirping haha. I can definitely tell she enjoys the attention, she is very relaxed other than the chirps. Today I actually tried cleaning her with a wet paper towel since she is still a little young for a bath and she loved it and was quiet and fell asleep through the process. I can tell already she is going to be a very expressive, outgoing baby. Thank you for the input!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts

Most Reactions