New baby hahn macaw

Chaddlee1978

Feb 5, 2016
South louisiana
Parrots
Hahn macaw
We finally picked up our baby Hahn macaw. We named him Gizmo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 396

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh my Gosh, Gizmo is beautiful! Great name for him, too:)
Congratulations on your new baby!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
What a cutie! Hahns macaw was right up there in my short list when I was looking. Is he fully weaned. You have to be on cloud nine.

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
He's so cute....I love my mini macaw! Don't let his size fool you though lol...when sissy wants to be heard ...you hear her, whether it's her smart alic remarks or her scream...but in the end it all makes me smile...just like gizmo will do for you.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Nice to see you two here. I love the mini-macaws. Once upon a time, Patagonian Conures were classified among them, I've been told, and... isn't the resemblance striking? Beautiful bird. I know you'll enjoy your time here. Welcome, from me and from cousin Rickeybird!

OP
C

Chaddlee1978

Feb 5, 2016
South louisiana
Parrots
Hahn macaw
Thank y'all. Yeah, he is fully weaned. He is 10 weeks old and doing good in his new home. He can be a little stubborn about stepping up at times. I have the tendency of wanting to teach him to do tricks and I know I should just focus on bonding with him first and allow him to get to know me and my wife and trust us first. He has been pretty quiet until this evening he started making more cueing noises. i took him to vet today and he weighs 143 grams and they said he looks good and is a sweet boy. This was good news. Vet told me Hahns can get up to 200 grams. But, yeah, he is sweet and hasn't started biting. He does like to nibble on fingers and ears. When he flies he likes to land in our hair, which I am trying to get him to land on my finger, which he has several times.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
How exciting... the wonderful early days of bird-love. :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Stepping up.... you just have to out stubborn them. Salty still get stubborn about that, especially if he is playing, but I don't accept anything but doing it, even if he chews my hand to rags (which he almost never does). He was so stubborn at first that we considered naming him Blockhead, because he was solid as a block of cement.
But bonding, patience and TREATS won the day and now he is almost a perfect parrot.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Or, alternatively, you can let him do anything and everything he wants, and then you can endure decades with a little green Genghis Khan, as I do!

No, no, no!!!! Do what Wrench said!!! REALLY.

OP
C

Chaddlee1978

Feb 5, 2016
South louisiana
Parrots
Hahn macaw
He getting better. Need to find his best treat but I do give him some little goody to give him when he steps up but mostly I give him head scratches and praises. We been taking him to another room where his cage isn't at to hold him. For some reason if he sees his cage he wants to fly to it. Wonder what we can do to help stop him from wanting to fly to it.

OP
C

Chaddlee1978

Feb 5, 2016
South louisiana
Parrots
Hahn macaw
We came home from lunch break to check on gizmo and he was having fun playing with toys. We opened his cage to let him out and he made his first flight to us from his cage. Making progress. :). He cute. Waiting for him to speak. :)

Most Reactions