new baby

marceldacs317

Jul 31, 2013
just brought home a GCC baby earlier today. Since I don't know the gender, I am just going to refer to the baby as a he. I have a couple of questions. I am planning to bring him to the vet soon for a checkup. I have a couple vets around my area to chose from so before I go i can probably call and ask them what the checkup will consist of. What should a good, thorough checkup consist of? Can I ask the vet to DNA sex the bird by getting the blood sample and sending it in to the lab, and would the vet office charge like twice as much as if I did it myself? Also, I need help on deciding for a name. I have no idea what to name my baby. I have narrowed down my choices to arrow, clover, and guava. When I opened his cage, he came out instantly and was not shy at all, even preening himself which if im not mistaken means he is relaxed. He is honestly one of the least shy and most courageous birds I have ever seen, especially on his first day in a new home. I gave him a bowl of water, he took a bath. I held a piece of mango and bell pepper, and he took them instantly and ate them. He enjoys being held on his back,cuddled, and scratched, but he is still learning step up. Any tips? He likes to hang off of the cage bars instead of perching. Is this normal?

Calace

May 16, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
GCC- Ollie 3.9.13.
Cockatiels- RIP Charlie 2012, Zac 2006.
I'm not much help with all your questions but your new baby sure does sounds like a friendly little cutie!!!

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Congrats on your baby! The visit will be a well-bird exam usually, where the vet looks,touch,listen. They usually will do a gram stain to check the normal bacteria levels. They also take some blood and check for psittacosis. That's also a good time to DNA the bird. It would cost you 20-25$ to do it yourself at home, my vet charges $45. I have, on occasion, brought a blood card from the lab and ask my vet to put a drop of the blood she just took on it, and sent it myself....

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Congrats on your new baby!

It is a good idea to call around and ask what a check up is! They should be able to do DNA sexing for you, although you could do it yourself for $20... vets may charge $40-$80 for DNA sexing, so just be aware of this!

Fecal gram stain, as mentioned... taking a poop sample and examining it under a microscope. You might want to ask if they can do this on-site or if they have to send it out. The difference is finding out immediately within 15 minutes or so, or having to wait a day or longer to find out the results.

A blood panel is suggested, if you can afford it as well. The blood panel, or CBC, varies on price, depending on what's done. A basic panel should be around $75-$120, with more extensive ones costing much more! This should check some vitamin/mineral levels, kidney and liver values, white cell count, bile acids, etc.

I really like Arrow and Clover! Arrow makes me think of Green Arrow (movie/action figure hero) and Clover would be a cute name for a girl!

Sounds like you found a great new companion! For step up training, here's a couple of good links!
Good Bird Inc Parrot Training Talk: Help! My Parrot Wont Step Up!
Living With Parrots Cage Free: Bucky and Strider - Millet Eating Fiends!

You might try placing the perches at different intervals within the cage as well as providing a variety of perches! But no more than 1 grooming perch, and that should not be the highest perch in the cage. Other than that, don't worry about it! ;)

OP
M

marceldacs317

Jul 31, 2013
yeah thats how i came up with the name arrow. Since the green arrow is green just like green cheek conures

Most Reactions

Latest posts