new baby

Swill55

Jun 5, 2015
Tn
Parrots
Male Eclectus died 2 weeks ago- only 15 years old
Found a blue male Indian Ringneck
I'm so excited and need to learn so much more. My male blue is 13 weeks old today, still on formula,possibly another week. My question is, since I lost my Eclectus, his stainless steel cage had to be taken down because of 1"bar spacing.
I bought a 1/2" indoor aviary cage for inside.
How many toys should I put in it to not overwhelm him? I have one medium size hanging for chewing, 2 perches-concrete,and 2 horizontal regular dowel type (it's a big cage)
One more question, is a 18"tall(square) too small for a night cage?
It's been 15years since I had a baby parrot, just wondering if i'm doing right so far.
Thank you;
I'll be posting his picture when I get him....maybe after he's off formula for...how long? I figured about 1 week of hand feeding

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I would try and avoid dowel perches because they don't promote good foot health, they're just far too... "perfect" for a parrots feet ironically! Use something with texture like Lima root perches for long distances, or invest in longer natural perches that you clean and outfit yourself. Concrete can also irritate the feet if they rest on it too often. You want as many different textures and you'll want to place the most comfortable and natural perch where he chooses his favourite spot, which will likely be somewhere near the top of the cage that he considers safe.

18" is pretty small if he's an active bird at night, but if he isn't then it should be okay for just sleeping so long as there's only one perch and a bowl for water and food.

As for toys, I honestly had 8 toys in my IRN's cage and he came home at 14 weeks. He was abundance weaned, so I'm surprised yours isn't fully weaned yet, but abundance weaning is indeed the way to go! He destroyed nearly all of them in a month. So I would see how he handles those toys, and perhaps get a few more just in case he's a chewer like my boy is, haha!

All in all, sounds like you're doing pretty great and congrats on your new baby!

OP
S

Swill55

Jun 5, 2015
Tn
Parrots
Male Eclectus died 2 weeks ago- only 15 years old
Found a blue male Indian Ringneck
Hi Chantal;
Thanks for responding, I only have the 2 dowel perch's in there for navigating issues,only till I can observe how the baby can maneuver and then they will be removed. I have 2 pedi-perchs and a manzanita and one of those clam ones I'm anxious to try next. Thanks

Kritika

Jun 16, 2015
India
Parrots
One male 4 year old Eclectus
One Yellow ring neck baby
One Blue ring neck baby
Hi there.. I have 2 Ring Neck Parrots babies (3 months old)... I use to feed them thru injections... but now they r eating on their own now for last 3-4 days. Their poop is very watery... is this a concern?

Most Reactions