New bird mommy

Jenn89

Jan 7, 2018
Media
So I bought a African grey that was not banded but I fell inlove wit him and bought him anyway I love him to pieces and I was told he was only 7 months when I brought him to a very reputable Breeder to get his nails trimmed and he said he thinks he’s 3 to 5 years old which is fine I still love him the same but my question is he says hello since we got him about 3 months ago and I figured more words would come in time thinking he is still only 7 months but if he is actually 3-5 years old is he goin to learn any more words I know your not supposed to buy a bird for his talking abilities and I love him no matter what but would love for him to talk more

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
So I bought a African grey that was not banded but I fell inlove wit him and bought him anyway I love him to pieces and I was told he was only 7 months when I brought him to a very reputable Breeder to get his nails trimmed and he said he thinks he’s 3 to 5 years old which is fine I still love him the same but my question is he says hello since we got him about 3 months ago and I figured more words would come in time thinking he is still only 7 months but if he is actually 3-5 years old is he goin to learn any more words I know your not supposed to buy a bird for his talking abilities and I love him no matter what but would love for him to talk more

Well if he is already saying "hello" chances are,he'll be saying other words too.

how long have you had him? If he is in a new environment,you're going to have to allow him time to settle into his new surroundings. how much time? Is any ones guess. It could take months or YEARS,or even just DAYS..Birdies are like people,every one of 'em are individuals.
Is he friendly with you? does he step up or come to you? He is going to have to feel comfortable before he even thinks about chatting.

I had Smokey maybe 6 months or so before she said a word. Mom would put her in a spare bedroom every night and cover her house,and when she uncovered to move Smokeys house back into the living room mom would say "how are you"?
One morning,as mom was going thru her routine,even before Smokeys house got uncovered,Smokey blurted out "HOW ARE YOU???".
Mom almost fell on the floor :eek: :D

In just days,Smokey was coming out with different words/phrases/whistles.
Smokey had to feel comfortable enough to start to talk,and it was all down hill from there :)

Give your new family member time. What is his/her name? And posting a picture or two or three is ALWAYS welcome here! (hint hint)

Jim

OP
Jenn89

Jenn89

Jan 7, 2018
Media
Hello thanks for the response yes he loves my boyfriend and he likes me too just not as much but yes he dose step up and gives kisses whistles and says hello loves to dance but will only dance wit my boyfriend we got him in January of this year so we have had him about 3 months

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Oh, yeah, as he becomes comfortable and bonds with you, the speech will probably come along. KUDOS to you for being prepared to love that bird regardless. That makes you our kind of folks here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Oh crap..I FORGOT to say "WELCOME" to you! :rolleyes:

Please,make sure you stick around. This forum is World Wide with tons of people from every corner of the world,from parronts who have decades of experience and knowledge,from little Budgies to big 'ol Macs,and everything else inbetween lol.

DO NOT be afraid to ask questions! ANY question!! The only "dumb" question is one that isn't asked. And if you are "new" to the wonderful world of being "owned" by a parrot..NO ONE here will EVER give you a hard time.

We are here so EVERYONE can learn,and share,and BRAG about our feathered children lol. Being owned by a parrot IS a life time commitment,and we strive to make sure our parrots have the best possible life with their parronts.

Have you named him/her? And a PICTURE would be nice lol ( Sorry for hounding you about that but we all love pictures lol)

Jim

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. So to even out the bonding, you should be the one offering the special treat your Grey loves, and only you. Talking that will come, some greys only do sounds some only do words, and some are pretty silent, each parrot is his or her own individual. Love themm for what the are.

Most Reactions

Latest posts