New bird owner!

Kassidy

Nov 22, 2011
Media
Northern Virginia
Parrots
Female Yellow-Naped Amazon
I just got my YNA last Friday. I had intentions on getting a Senegal, but fell in love with this one instead. This is my first bird. I've named her Kassidy. She is a bit over 6 months old. I'm still learning her boundries, she can be a bit nippy but I'm working on it :) I haven't received any REAL painful bites, yet. She was already on a healthy pellet diet and fresh fruit and veggies, still trying to learn her favorites.

She's also already talking, hello, hi, whatcha doin, whats up, and come here. Thats all I've been able to distinguish so far anyways. I haven't been able to get her to say much when I ask her to though. I've already taught her "kisses" , she sticks her head out and makes a kissy noise until I kiss her beak. If she is left alone on the top of her cage she starts talking bird jibberish and doesn't stop :) Its hilarious! She also cat calls, little screams, chattering, tongue rolls, and I think she is trying to say words, I just can't understand them.

I'm going to be clicker training her, altho I've been pretty successful with just a stick :) At first she just attacked it, now she just taps it and expects her reward.

She's always fighting for my shoulder, but I'm trying to get her to stay on my hand/forearm otherwise she thinks my ears are her toys. I wasn't thinking about it when I first got her and she grabbed and broke one of my hoop earings.

One thing that has me worried is cooking... I know the toxic issues with Teflon. My pots and pans are actually calphalon and they state they do not use any Teflon... I'm petrified to cook, so I've been eating out for a week since I got my little girl.
Does anyone know anything about "calphalon"?

I'm sure I'll have plenty of other questions, being my first bird and all, but wanted to give you alitle run down :)

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Congratulations!

Do lots of research on you new birdy. Amazons can be challenging! They're not what one would typically get as a first time bird. I hope you have a lot of free time.

According to this, Calphalon is not bird-safe: What Are the Dangers of Calphalon Cookware? | eHow.com

I'd research if further, but most non-stick pans are NOT bird safe. There are some that are, but you have to do your research to be sure.

I found most of my pots and pans at the thrift store. :)

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Congrats on your little girl...

Cooking food will not generally hurt the birds... It's if you leave a Teflon pan heating and forgetting about it, it'll be dangerous.

Clicker training is a great way to train birds... They just get it so quickly... I have clicker trained dogs, rats and birds... It's just a fantastic method..

Good luck with your baby..

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Welcome to the forum, I'd work on that nippiness now before she gets older. When she bites or beaks too hard let her know. Say "NO", she doesn't know what is acceptable behavior because she doesn't have siblings to play with . You need to fill that role and teach her what is OK.

OP
Kassidy

Kassidy

Nov 22, 2011
Media
Northern Virginia
Parrots
Female Yellow-Naped Amazon
Thank You for the welcome!

I've been researching birds for about 6 months before I actually went out and got Kassidy. I was a bit hesitant to get an Amazon knowing they require a lot of one on one time, especially since she is my first bird.

I am going to buy a set of the Cuisinart Ceramica cookware, as it seems the best for households with birds. Until then I'm going to move her to my bedroom while I cook for Thanksgiving just to be safe.

I'm working very hard with the nipping... I tell her no and most times put her back on her perch on top of her open top cage, hoping she will learn it is not acceptable. (This is when she talks the most, trying to get me to come back and get her lol)The lady I got her from told me to give her a toy everytime she nips, but when she is being held she has ZERO interest in toys lol

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Congrat to Kassidy and your new way of life lol and welcome to the forum.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I think she is just a young bird who has no clue to how hard she is biting. Sounds like she wants to play , but has no sibling who would bite her back if she bit too hard.That and they get so excited when playing that they forget themselves. My 40 yr old hen gets too rough sometimes but has learned what NO means, of course much of it is my fault for playing rough but she usually calms down when i tell her NO.

Most Reactions

Latest posts