New bird!

tabriz

Oct 17, 2011
Hi,
I'm new here, and thought I'd join to get some support/advice/knowledge because I just adopted what I think is a Triton Cockatoo! He was living outside for the Summer, but the owners moved him into the garage (with a sliding glass door, but still solitary confinement) now that it is getting colder.

When we went to see him he immediately let me scritch him and groom his pin feathers. Love at first sight for me, I always wanted a cockatoo. The owners didn't seem very attached to him, they wanted to put him in a small garbage pail while they cleaned his cage so we could take it home. I said no! and put him in the carrier we were going to use to bring him home. I do know that they can be difficult birds, but my husband is retired and home most of the day, and we also have a double yellow headed amazon, an African Grey, and a lovebird, so we aren't new parrot owners.

So, now he is sitting in his cage with some new toys and fresh fruit and watching the rest of the family (our other birds, our dog, and us) watch tv and playing quietly with his toys and eating the food. There is a squawk/holler or two but he is really very quiet considering he has just been plopped into a totally new environment. His cage is 30 x 40, is that big enough? Once he's acclimated he will be out alot, but will be in it when unsupervised or at night.

Any advice for a new Triton Cockatoo owner?

Thanks in advance!

Tabriz

YNAMomma

Sep 18, 2011
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Ianto-10yr old M. YN-Amazon,
Toshiko - 10yr old F. YN-Amazon (Mated pair)
I would like to thank you for takin in the little guy. It sounded like he was living with people who didnt deserve him. I wonder how they would feel living in the garage when its cold! He sounds wonderful. Here's the info i found on cage sizes for Too's. A minimum size cage to house a small cockatoo is 27" x 27 " x 39" (70x70x100 cm), which should then be accompanied with regularly outside time for the bird to exercise. For larger cockatoos a larger cage must be considered.

OP
T

tabriz

Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for the replies and welcome. Well, I couldn't help myself and invited him out last night to sit with me on the couch. He immediately went into cuddle mode and I preened his pin feathers for about an hour and a half. At one point I put him on the back of the couch, supervised by DH, to go to the bathroom. When I came back and sat down he immediately launched himself onto my chest to resume the mutual grooming session. When we put him to bed and turned the lights out, I didn't know what to expect, thought he might protest, but he was quiet!

Had to go to work today, but called DH to see how he's doing, and he's doing fine (the DH is, too!), playing quietly with his toys. I'm in love!

Tabriz

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Welcome to the forum! Thats awesome that you took in a re-home, I love seeing birds getting a second chance. As far as advice just be careful to not over spoil him. Its a myth that Toos need more attention than other birds, they just demand more. Set up a routine with him from day one and stick to it. Its probably going to be easier with him because he came from a home where he wasn't over spoiled. When ever you do play/cuddling sessions keep them somewhat short and frequent. Don't do them on the bird's terms, you need to decide: when, how long, and what type of physical attention he gets. This will prevent him from becoming demanding. They thrive off of structure and routine. Never give him attention when he screams, act like he isn't doing it. Otherwise you would be conditioning him to scream for what he wants - not a good way to start your life with him. He sounds lovely, can't wait to see some pics of him. :D

Most Reactions