New bird.....?????

_Cass_

Mar 4, 2010
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Toulouse- Cinnamon Green Cheeked Conure
So, my mother has informed me that in a year, if I am still taking care of Toulouse as wonderfully as I still am (Of course I will be) I can get another parrot! Yippee!! I cannot choose which species to get. I have already devoted this year to be research the new bird your going to get year. It will obviously come from a parrot rescue, and money is not an issue since I have already started a 'new bird fund', and I get a steady flow of money from my parrents for food, and toys etc. I just need to pay for the cage, stands, outdoor cage, etc.

The 'New bird' cannot be bigger than a Blue Crowned Conure, and the only type of parrot that I will not get is Parrotlet. It's not that I don't like them- it's that I had one for many many year, and she died unexpectedly one day and died in my hands. I just have never been able to look at a Parrotlet the same.

Now that we have that covered- I am leaning toward a Sun Conure, another GCC, Jenday Conure, Maroon-bellied conure, a Senegal maybe.. or a White-eared Conure!?!? (I looked them up and I think they are beautiful- supposed to have a close temperment to a GCC) A Black-Capped Conure's are beautiful, Patagonian Conure.... Blue Crowned Conure, Orange-fronted Conure, and I have been researching the poicephalus species. As you may see I have hit sort of a delema.

Any advice on a great parrot would be wonderful. Are there any on my list that I shouldn't consider getting? Some species I should ? I also have lottttss of experience with parrots- so experience is no problem.

Any help would be gladly apreciated!!

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
So sorry about your traumatizing Parrotlet experience... that's really sad. :(

Anyway; so, you're looking at the Poicephalus? That's a good idea; I like those birds for their quiet nature.

I visited my favorite avian store recently, and I was watching their birds. They had A LOT of birds, so it was a great opportunity to observe each one's behavior. The Senegal (a Poicephalus), was very quiet. While all the Macaws squawked and croaked, he sat on his little perch and mumbled to himself. He just seemed to enjoy watching his world go by while he ate his little peanut.

From what I observed, the noisiest birds there were the Sun conures, and the Jenday conure. The Nanday was so quiet, you almost missed him. Boy was he cute, too! He would utter a high-pitched squeal every so often, but nothing more than that.

Have you considered Caiques? The big cage of caiques was very fun to watch; they talked to one another, preened each other, and it almost seemed as if they smiled at passerbys. They were so playful, too. They rolled around and chased each other the whole time I was there. They're only a little bigger than a conure.

Another bird you should consider is the Princess parrot. They're quiet, sweet, and very social. They're about the size of a cockatiel, and very colorful. The lone princess parrot I saw there was extremely friendly; he was pacing left and right, waiting to be let out to play. He would give out happy little chirps whenever you talked to him.

As you can see, there are a lot of birds for you to consider. I haven't even listed them all, but take a look at each of the birds I've talked about.

OP
_Cass_

_Cass_

Mar 4, 2010
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Ooooo!! I looked into Caiques (specifically white-bellied) and they are absolutley Goorrgouus. And I think I have narrowed down my list.
I also looked into Princess Parrots, who's picture just melted me. LOL
  • Blue Crowned Conure
  • White-Bellied Caique
  • Brown Headed Poicephalus
  • Senegal
  • White-Eared Conure
  • Marroon Bellied Conure
  • Princess Parrot
I still have a long way to go though. LOL
I am still open to ideas.... :p

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
also looked into Princess Parrots, who's picture just melted me. LOL

I know what you mean. I saw a picture of them, and I had the same reaction. You can imagine how I felt when I saw the real thing. I swear, I almost broke down and took him home. They were charging such a fair price too. :(

OP
_Cass_

_Cass_

Mar 4, 2010
Calgary, AB
Parrots
also looked into Princess Parrots, who's picture just melted me. LOL

I know what you mean. I saw a picture of them, and I had the same reaction. You can imagine how I felt when I saw the real thing. I swear, I almost broke down and took him home. They were charging such a fair price too. :(

Ohh I can Imagine!!! LOL. I would have probably took one home with me, which would have ended in my parents saying... "CASSIE. Another bird!? Don't we have enough animals in this house!" LOL. Silly parents! Who can enough animals? :p

Again, to everyone in the parrot-forum-world, I am open to new bird ideas.

AndrewH

Aug 22, 2010
Dayton, OH
Parrots
Both my birds are rehomed rescues. Samantha, Umbrella Cockatoo (HD: 2002)
Lucky, B&G Macaw (HD: 1990-ish?)
Caique. If I didn't already have two large birds, I would get a caique today. They are clowns and love to play. And they seem fairly quiet (at least compared to Macaws and toos).

OP
_Cass_

_Cass_

Mar 4, 2010
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Caique. If I didn't already have two large birds, I would get a caique today. They are clowns and love to play. And they seem fairly quiet (at least compared to Macaws and toos).

LOL, I think most birds seem quiet when compared to macaws and 'toos.
I have shortened my list to three! :p

1. White-Bellied Caique
  2. White-Eared Conure
  3. Blue Crowned Conure (Ever since I saw Paulie I wanted one). :D
P.S: I am surprised Antionette has not added anything..... LOL

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Tough decision!

I think I'd get the caique. It'd add diversity and fun to your flock, and besides that; they're just so incredibly cute!

OP
_Cass_

_Cass_

Mar 4, 2010
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Tough decision!

I think I'd get the caique. It'd add diversity and fun to your flock, and besides that; they're just so incredibly cute!

Well, Caiques have just beeen crossed off the list. Aparently my mom has had some 'bad experinces' with them. Which is odd beecause I'm the one who got her started on parrots and I have lived with and seen all of the parrots that we have rescued or kept. Hmmmm...

I guess I shall make my new list to be..
  1. Senegal
  2. White-Eared Conure
  3. Princess Parrot
I am in a bad delema... I guess I must ask if anyone has had any bad experiences with the parrots above? Any reason any of those birds should not be on my list. Ohh I was so looking forward to getting a Caique! Silly Parents! :mad:

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
I you want something bigger, more colorful, and a better talker then get a Sennie. If you want cuddliness and can tolerate some more noise, get the white-eared conure. If you want a small, easily managed, and colorful bird; a Princess parrot would be best.

It's all up to what you want most in a bird. Although, it's hard to put a 'general' term on any bird... but I just gave my experiences with each.

Most Reactions