New Black Capped Conure with Concerns

MoLo

Aug 8, 2016
Cleveland Ohio area
Parrots
Kiwi, Black Capped Conure male - hatched 5/6/16
Well we got our first bird, Kiwi, a 3 month old male Black Capped Conure from a Parrot Store on Tuesday. In the store he was content with being petted and didn't bite. That first day home he was on a "Hunger Strike" and just sat on one perch, didn't move and won't eat or drink. The second day we took him to the Avian vet where he got a clean bill of health, then came home and explored his cage a little and started eating and drinking away (yeah!). The following two days he has been exploring his cage a little and eating away.

I am concerned because now when I come up to his cage, he moves to the farthest corner away from me and when I reach in to get him to play with him, he fights to get away and squawlks like he is mad. He is not interested in playing with us outside his cage and tries to run back toward his cage. He won't take treats from me either. Even though he isn't interested, I still make him come out and pet him a few times a day.

Is this normal behavior??? I am very worried about him not becoming tame and not wanting human attention. Thanks in advance!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
That *is* odd...
I wonder: could something have happened while he was out that scared him? Or... IS there something that's scaring him... a dog... a loud tv... I'm just brainstorming here. I'll add that my bird will not come out if I have on a new/wild/colorful shirt. When I get a new tee-shirt (my go-to wardrobe) that he doesn't like... I have to let him get used to it.

Meanwhile, congrats on all the stuff that is going well!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
"I am concerned because now when I come up to his cage, he moves to the farthest corner away from me and when I reach in to get him to play with him, he fights to get away and squawlks like he is mad. He is not interested in playing with us outside his cage and tries to run back toward his cage. He won't take treats from me either. Even though he isn't interested, I still make him come out and pet him a few times a day."

As far as he is concerned, you are attacking him! Back off just a little and respect his space! Right now, he has lost everything he knows! He will warm up in no time!

Last edited:
OP
MoLo

MoLo

Aug 8, 2016
Cleveland Ohio area
Parrots
I am concerned because now when I come up to his cage, he moves to the farthest corner away from me and when I reach in to get him to play with him, he fights to get away and squawlks like he is mad. He is not interested in playing with us outside his cage and tries to run back toward his cage. He won't take treats from me either. Even though he isn't interested, I still make him come out and pet him a few times a day.

As far as he is concerned, you are attacking him! Back off just a little and respect his space! Right now, he has lost everything he knows! He will warm up in no time!

Thanks, you're right, he came from a non-cage, open-pen environment with other birds to a cage alone. I think he's been in shock since the drive home in the travel carrier. We do have two preteen kids so the house isn't quiet for sure also. I'll stop forcing him out and try again tomorrow. Hopefully he will come around.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
A warm welcome to you and Kiwi!!

It will take Kiwi some time to acclimate to both a cage and your home. His territoriality should diminish once he feels comfortable and begins to trust. Give him some space while proving you are a safe haven and source of food and affection.

How did Kiwi react to you in the store? You mentioned he was mellow in the store, so there is plenty of hope once his fears are reduced.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Right, back off. Have a seat 5 feet away from the cage, reading to him, does not matter what. Each day move the chair a tiny bit closer every day. Do this for an hour every day. When you get close enuf to reach and offer treats, do it any time he moves closer to you. Right now your teaching him to fear the hand. Scratches, and play and stepping up will come with time ad patience.

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
welcome. I also have a Black capped Conure. Mine is a little Spunky punk of a bird but I would not have it any other way. He is very loving too loving. Mine is nippy more pinches than a bite its annoying at first but I don't mind any more really as long as it is just a pinch.

Mine started to say Step up after only a week of being with us. He is so cute and very outgoing. Your little guy just needs time to adjust to his new home. Give it time. He is still a really young baby a lot can change as he matures and gets adjusted.

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
Hey How is your little black capped doing. I think you might be the only one on here with another Black capped well the only one I have seen. Just looking for an update?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
I'll give this thread a bump and a high five.

I know how thrilled I was to find another person here with a Patagonian (Nicky) and one person who occasionally boards one (Birdigirl).

Good luck! I hope MoLo gets back to you (us).

OP
MoLo

MoLo

Aug 8, 2016
Cleveland Ohio area
Parrots
Hey How is your little black capped doing. I think you might be the only one on here with another Black capped well the only one I have seen. Just looking for an update?

Thank you for asking Snowflake311! He is doing really good now and feels like a part of the family! At first he was nervous and wouldn't come to me, but now it's the opposite! It's so fun when I come home, he runs to the side of his cage, makes noise and somersaults until we get him out and pet him. He steps on my finger and loves being carried around. He likes my kids, but I'm his favorite person. He spends most of his time in his cage, but he still gets play time and has lots of toys we rotate. He has been nippy lately, but I think it might be because he is molting lightly since the weather has changed.

He said his first word recently! It's "Kiwi", his name :) I sounds like he is trying to make kissing noises and say "Good night" too.

The only thing I can't get him to do is eat fresh vegetables, he likes the freeze dried, maybe someday he'll change his mind!

How is your bird? Is your bird molting now? Does your bird talk?

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Glad you're back, MoLo!
Cute name, by the way... may I know where it came from?

OP
MoLo

MoLo

Aug 8, 2016
Cleveland Ohio area
Parrots
Glad you're back, MoLo!
Cute name, by the way... may I know where it came from?

Thank you! I have been learning a lot reading this forum! I don't feel like such a nervous novice anymore with my little birdie.

The MoLo is a copycat nickname, with the idea from Jennifer Lopez's nickname JLo. The "Mo' is because my first name is Maureen and Mo is a nickname for it. It seems like everyone I meet of Irish descent has an Aunt Mo, lol. Although, when people call me Mo, I jokingly say, Mo is one of the Stooges, I'm Maureen :32: The "Lo" is the last two letters of my last name, but it's not Lopez. It hasn't caught on much as a nickname, probably because it sounds too much like Rolos, those tasty little chocolate covered caramels.

What does your name mean GaleriaGila?

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Love that! Annnd... the Rickeybird LOVES J-Lo. I am half-Mexican and half-Irish (roughly).

My Mexican nickname is "Gila"... a region in the Southwest and also the name of a predatory lizard! Not exactly sure where it came from but something to do with my being a brat as a kid... I once BIT a relative... and it's a close fit with "Gail" which is a nickname for Abigail. But it stuck! So I named my art business GaleriaGila (Gila Gallery) since my art is Mexican in origin and spirit. Thank you for asking!

Most Reactions