New Budgie at home

BirdyMommy

Jul 16, 2017
Colorado
Parrots
Budgie- Captain America
Green Cheek Conure- Melody
My brother just brought home a new budgie last night! This morning my mom was concerned because she seemed to have a small bit of poop stuck to her vent. after further investigation it seems to only be stuck to the feathers, and she seems to be pooping just fine. We got her from some people with many many budgies who were trying to re home some, the situation seemed very clean and the birds all looked healthy. I guess my main question is, what level of concern should I have at this point? We have had budgies die of a clogged vent before and I don't want to see it happen again. Any advice is appreciated.:yellow2:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
on a scale of 1-10 I say a 1 or 2. Bird poop is sticky, kind of like boogers. He might have had a feather just pop out in the way and got caught.

Monitor his poop of course but I wouldn't worry to much about it unless it keeps happening. If you had said you got the bird from a NARC bust on a meth lab or a humane services raid on some bird mill or something I'd be more concerned, but a little poop is sometimes....just a little poop.

I'd also say to give the bird a bath, or give him access to a dish he can take a bathe in, depending on his level of hand trust.

Does he get along with Melody? I was wondering about that with a conure and a smaller bird, but my bird likes to wrestle me so I don't think it would fit.

OP
B

BirdyMommy

Jul 16, 2017
Colorado
Parrots
Budgie- Captain America
Green Cheek Conure- Melody
hey thanks for the reply! She is not hand tame at all, and is still very nervous in the new environment. We have also decided to quarantine her from Melody for a while, just to be safe and make sure we're not bringing in any disease. But i'm hoping they will be able to get along. (Her name is Gwenne by the way)

Most Reactions