New but already cuddling? Or maybe not?

OonaOceana

Jan 12, 2015
OR
Parrots
Three year old Jenday Conure named Suki
I just got a Jenday Conure who I named Suki.
She's threeish and was already tamed and trained to step up/stand on shoulders. But I only got her a few days ago, and she's already cuddling or something. I wasn't going to hold her so soon, but she gets so excited when I go by her cage. She chirps and goes to the closest corner and fluffs up and turns her head down. So I gave in. When she goes on my shoulder, she pushes up behind my ear and wiggles around and bobs her head. Is that okay? I mean, she's not scared of something? She also clicks her beak when she's going to sleep and when she's up against my chest under my hand. She bobs her head sometimes too. Is this all normal?
I'm sorry if these are silly questions. I've just never had a birdie before and want to go about it right!
Thank you!

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Sounds like cuddling to me. My gcc cuddles behind my ear and bobs his head. The beak grinding is good, means he's happy!

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Totally content, happy, and normal behaviours of a conure that is well bonded to you.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
That's very good sign - it means she likes you! I was in store looking at a Nanday conure other day (I wanted him SO much, but couldn't afford, and he was also too good for me as I only do rescues). He was semi-tame, but he came up my arm to my shoulder, preened my hair and cuddled with me. I also gave him head scratches. So if they like you they show that right away! :)
Congratulations on your new bird! :)

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
A www! Sounds like a love connection for sure. Definite cuddler there. That's a great thing.

Adam_T

Jan 15, 2015
North Carolina
Parrots
Sheldon: Rose Crowned Canure
That's awesome! I just got my Rose Crowned Conure earlier today, and he is doing the same thing! Glad to see this thread. Thanks!

Most Reactions