New conure owner with a few questions!

Rampallion

Apr 30, 2013
Hi everyone

My name is Saoirse and just over a week ago I bought home my first green cheeked conure. I did as much reading as I could as I am a first time bird owner and I want to be prepared but I have a few questions.

A little background on him...

Wiggles is 2 years old approximately. He was sourced by a petshop for a lady who had him for a few weeks, but who then went into hospital. The pet shop took him back to look after him but after a few months the lady (who loved him very dearly) stopped calling to check up on him. It is assumed that she died in hospital. He was very much loved in the pet shop, spent all his time out of his cage and was generally fussed by everyone who came in. However he then learned to fly so had to be shut away in his cage while the shop was open, and at this point the shop decided to rehome him. I'm not sure how long he spent like this. His cage is pretty huge (suitable for an African grey apparently) and he has loads of toys so he wasn't bored but as the lady in the shop explained to me, he didn't have half as much human interaction as he did before and began to get scared of hands in his cage.

Since getting him home, we have discovered that this extends to outside the cage too. If hands approach him, he just runs off. He was ok when he was in his travel cage and happily stepped up to fingers but since he's been home and his normal cage has been set up he's just become increasingly scared of hands and fingers. He accepts scritches through the bars of his cage and will take treats from our fingers when it pleases him but short of grabbing him, which I don't want to do, he'll have nothing to do with us (unless we have food).

He isn't vicious or anything. He'll have a nibble of a finger sometimes through the bars of the cage but he knows 'no!' and stops. Does anybody have any suggestions for getting him used to our hands quicker and generally showing him that we're his friends? I would love to get to a point where he flies down from his cage to see us. He's given us so much happiness already but I know very little about trust training with birds, especially ones that have had 3 different homes in such a short space of time! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Saoirse

Edit: Forgot to say, he's gotten to a point where he'll come and sit outside the cage on a perch while we're eating whereas for the first couple of days he wouldn't leave his cage. He does loads of stuff which seems like he's trying to get our attention and sulks in his tent if we ignore him. He sometimes looks like he wants to fly over to us when we're eating but never quite plucks up the courage to!

Last edited:
OP
R

Rampallion

Apr 30, 2013
A few pics of him :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367335095540.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367335095540.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 249
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367335113824.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367335113824.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 434
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367335149647.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367335149647.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 246

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Welcome to the forum Saoirse.....

Be patient, he's still getting used to you and his new home...a week is not necessarily enough time for him to get settled in.....

You might want to wait a while before trying to get him to step up & let him decide when he wants to do that.....

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
Welcome to the forum!

One way you may be able to build his confidence would be to feed him a treat with your hand at his open cage door. Make sure you move your hand slowly and purposefully towards and away from him, as to not frighten him. Try to hide your other hand while you do this for now.
After a while when he is happy to run to he open door to your treat hand, you can hold your other hand flat and stationary (like a bridge) in such a way that he will need to step on your hand to reach the treat in your first hand. Make sure your bridge hand is super easy for him to step onto, and remember that the whole point of this exercise is to develop trust, so don't get all super excited and move your hand the second he steps up!

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

Most Reactions