New conure owner!

ftm420

Jan 3, 2018
Parrots
Conure - Donny 2017
Just taken the lovely Donny into our home - he is a 2017 bird but a little older than we'd have liked, so not hand-tame yet. Hopefully he'll get better with practise!

We let him out for what starts off as an hour, but usually ends up being more than 2 hours by the time we can persuade him to go to bed! He's currently eating the world map above my desk. He doesn't seem to like me much, as he will move away from me if I get too close to him. One son has been able to feed him some apple by hand.

The trick to getting him back in his cage seems to be placing Dad's battery-operated budgie [yes, we tried that as a substitute when Dad said he wanted a bird! It cheeps when the light changes!] on the cage floor. We aren't sure if he's going to say 'hi' to the budgie or send him off, but he will talk to the budgie all day if he can!:green1:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Sounds like a good start, if he's letting you get close, and he let your son hand feed him then he will probably bond pretty quick. Just don't rush it, talk and offer items of interest especially food and soon you'll be inseparable.

:gcc:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Donny! He is still young enough to bond well with your family.

How long have you had Donny? There are many techniques to help with bonding and becoming comfortable with the daily routine. Does he come out of his cage for just one or two hours, or are you referencing his time just before bed?

Here are a few links you may find helpful!
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/training/60435-clicker-target-training.html (may help with encouraging him to return to the cage!)

OP
F

ftm420

Jan 3, 2018
Parrots
Conure - Donny 2017
Hi Scott

We've only had him 2 weeks now. He is progressing slowly as he's about 6/7 months old so not finger tame [yet]. We can persuade him back into his cage by using the fake budgie for now, but I have noticed this evening, that if we don't feed him apple when he's out, he will go back into his cage if I pop some fresh apple slices in his food bowl.

When he is out for an hour or two in the evening, he seems quite happy pootling around and I have stopped trying to approach him quite so often. He did pop over to see me when I was working at my desk [though he landed on the top edge of my world map on the wall and started taking chunks out of the Arctic Ocean and Spitzbergen!]. He seems quite chatty and listens when you click/whistle to him.

His plumage seems to have developed a stronger colour than when he first arrived, so I hope that's a sign that he's more relaxed now?

OP
F

ftm420

Jan 3, 2018
Parrots
Conure - Donny 2017
clarke_conure - slowly does it. One son is getting impatient and thinks we need to swap him for a younger model, but I'm quite happy with him, even if he never becomes 'silly-tame'. He's pleasant company anyway.

MooshieBird

Dec 12, 2017
Media
Gulf Coast
Parrots
Mushka CAG 5 years old
Sounds to me like it is going pretty well. Birds aren't like most other pets, it takes some time for them to warm up to others. The birds you see online that are super cuddly have had a lot of time and effort spent on them and they also tend to have that personality to begin with. Keep at it and Donny will keep coming around.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I think you are right on track...

Birds aren't puppies or kitties...may I share my story? My bird is pretty awful. He's a fun mimic and a real character, but...
Even after all these years, I sometimes find myself putting myself or my bird down... stuff like...
I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS OR THAT.
WHY CAN'T HE BE SWEET AND NICE, LIKE A PUPPY?
PEOPLE WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND WHY I PUT UP WITH THIS.
Stuff like that.
But the Rb is a parrot... in his particular case, one generation out of the wild.
I do all the right things, as much/well as I can, but in the end, I just LOVE my bird,
Some parrots are SO SWEET, some are NOT. :) I'm HAPPY and a bit JEALOUS of those successes.
I have lessened my psychological and physical wounds over the decades... not because I've changed the bird, but I have changed me. And a lot of that has involved giving up on a lot of my desires/expectations. After years of battle, I surrendered. I admit... as to why have I not (and why am I unable/unwilling) to train the Rb to do anything that he doesn't want to do?
Example... if I have a treat, and he sees it and wants it, I HAVE to give it too him. I simply cannot/will not NOT give him what he wants. No training there!
Consequently, I have a Tazmanian Devil on my hands. I love him. I have no complaints, really. He's HIMSELF. And I'm MYSELF. And the result... check my Signature for videos. etc., if you like. :)
Over the years, I have been very embarassed/downhearted/sad about having a pet that was so... out of my control.
But finally, I accepted that I have an amazing half-wild being who shares my life! It's magic enough.

Good luck. Good for you for reaching out!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hi Scott

We've only had him 2 weeks now. He is progressing slowly as he's about 6/7 months old so not finger tame [yet]. We can persuade him back into his cage by using the fake budgie for now, but I have noticed this evening, that if we don't feed him apple when he's out, he will go back into his cage if I pop some fresh apple slices in his food bowl.

When he is out for an hour or two in the evening, he seems quite happy pootling around and I have stopped trying to approach him quite so often. He did pop over to see me when I was working at my desk [though he landed on the top edge of my world map on the wall and started taking chunks out of the Arctic Ocean and Spitzbergen!]. He seems quite chatty and listens when you click/whistle to him.

His plumage seems to have developed a stronger colour than when he first arrived, so I hope that's a sign that he's more relaxed now?

Thanks for the update! Two weeks is still very early in the process, likely still the "honeymoon stage." Please ask your son to be patient! Depending on his age, he may be instrumental in helping Donny feel at home.

Use caution with artifacts within biting/eating range. Many seemingly innocent items contain lead or other harmful substances.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
clarke_conure - slowly does it. One son is getting impatient and thinks we need to swap him for a younger model, but I'm quite happy with him, even if he never becomes 'silly-tame'. He's pleasant company anyway.

I'm laughing to myself because you have no idea how bonded a conure can get!

Remember you are a predator with stereo vision, the bird knows this from instinct, once he realizes your not going to hurt him, he's going to want everything to do with you and your family.

Try this, get some nuts or apple, something he likes and sit at your desk and just slowly nibble while you do whatever your doing....eventually his curiosity or want of yummies will overtake his wariness.

:gcc:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I can tell you my Conure wanted absolutely nothing to do with me at first. It took time and patience and he decided I was okay. They are beyond different to any animal you've known before. Just remind your sign that your little bird is just simply scared that he may be your lunch and needs to spend time learning you're friends and not their to hurt him. He's already doing better than a lot of birds both younger and older who take a lot more time to be happy around humans.

Just as a side note I would read up on hormones and puberty and explain it all to your son so next year when the hormones do rear their ugly head your son can realize your bird hasn't suddenly become feral

OP
F

ftm420

Jan 3, 2018
Parrots
Conure - Donny 2017
OK - so now he's getting very friendly and the dog is settling [a bit]. maybe I need to start a new bird owner blog?

Donny was wheeled into the dining room for the day while we were all out and Rocky [the dog] was in the kitchen. Donny didn't seem put out, and when we came home and wheeled him back in to the kitchen area for the evening, he wasn't phased.

Little fella actually sat with me and son no.1 while we worked on some papers on the table last night. Parrot decided to land on the table to join us and then tried to eat the forms we were valiantly trying to complete.

Is this the start of me actually liking him?:rainbow1:

Most Reactions

Latest posts