new conure

laopi

Aug 6, 2015
Mississauga,Canada
Parrots
one Pineapple, nine budgies
Hi,

I had a tame pineapple conure for some weeks, he/she is fully tame, fly in my house every day (good or bad idea?), likes to play with me when I at home, and I'll adopt another yellow sided conure this weekend, which is not tame, 8 months old, any suggestion to train/tame the new baby?

Thanks.

peter

birdsong

Aug 6, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Parrots
None yet, but researching carefully and leaning towards a green cheek conure
Hi, I am thinking of purchasing a pineapple conure, after reading about many birds. Congratulations on owning one!

Since you have a new conure: I am wondering if you'd mind sharing your thoughts on how you introduced your bird to the space where it can fly around. I live in a condo with 14-foot ceilings, and in the living room, there are is a large sliding-glass door and a magnolia tree within view. If the doors are closed (of course), I'm worried the bird might try to fly towards the viewable tree and fly into the glass, hurting itself. How can I introduce the bird to the fact that there is a glass barrier? Would it help to hold the bird on my hand close to the window so she can "learn" about that being a barrier?

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Hellos, to both of you and welcome to the forums. If you are careful about bird proofing then allowing your conures to fly around your house is great exercise.

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
Hi, I am thinking of purchasing a pineapple conure, after reading about many birds. Congratulations on owning one!

Since you have a new conure: I am wondering if you'd mind sharing your thoughts on how you introduced your bird to the space where it can fly around. I live in a condo with 14-foot ceilings, and in the living room, there are is a large sliding-glass door and a magnolia tree within view. If the doors are closed (of course), I'm worried the bird might try to fly towards the viewable tree and fly into the glass, hurting itself. How can I introduce the bird to the fact that there is a glass barrier? Would it help to hold the bird on my hand close to the window so she can "learn" about that being a barrier?

I decorated my window with all kinds of birdie toys and perches for this reason :p but you can also try putting decals on the glass.

birdsong

Aug 6, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Parrots
None yet, but researching carefully and leaning towards a green cheek conure
Thanks for that suggestion. Decals might be a good option for me! I could put leaf decals up, or snowflakes during the holidays. :>)

Most Reactions

Latest posts