New green cheek conure, and a question!

neenalou

Sep 15, 2023
Parrots
Green cheeked conure
Hello! I'm Neena and I have adopted a gorgeous green cheek conure about 6 months ago. We think she is about 3 years old. She is absolutely perfect - we love her!
She currently lives free in part of our house (kitchen and conservatory), and has a cage that she can go in when she wants to, usually just at night or when she wants to eat / drink.
The thing is, we wondered if she might like a buddy as I imagine parakeets are meant to be sociable with other birds? Would you recommend trying to introduce another bird and if so, what do we need to consider? Should we add a different breed, if so?
This is just a thought so looking for advice!
Many thanks everyone!!

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Hello - I have a single GCC and we are very bonded and happy. I have heard it said that there is no guarantee that any two birds will actually like each other and there are stories of having to only allow one bird out at a time. Would you want that if it turned out to be the case? I guess the answer to your question is do you want another bird? I don't think it essential particularly if your single bird is bonded to you and happy. Another might cause jealousy and of course it may be the beginning of a wonderful flock. Only you can decide. As to mixing it seems that lots do but I am not experienced in that department. Hopefully someone with more advice will be along soon.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
THe rule is only get an additional parrot if YOU want an additional parrot. A single bird now becomes part of your family and they see you as their flock. Its one reason why parrots are successful companions. As has been pointed out already, there is NO guarantee a new bird will get along with your GCC. Hey , they might even decide that they like each other more then you and now you are the third wheel. It does happen!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I agree with Wrench.....don't go getting a bird for your bird. If your bird is happy and content then you've won the game and you're a great owner.

G

Guest46745

Hello! I'm Neena and I have adopted a gorgeous green cheek conure about 6 months ago. We think she is about 3 years old. She is absolutely perfect - we love her!
She currently lives free in part of our house (kitchen and conservatory), and has a cage that she can go in when she wants to, usually just at night or when she wants to eat / drink.
The thing is, we wondered if she might like a buddy as I imagine parakeets are meant to be sociable with other birds? Would you recommend trying to introduce another bird and if so, what do we need to consider? Should we add a different breed, if so?
Many thanks everyone!!
Hello,
I would want to know if you or another human are always home? If yes, someone is always there with the bird, then you're probably fine. If no, like everyone goes to work each day, then the bird probably needs a friend. Birds are very social creatures and being alone is very difficult for them. I would actually say traumatizing. I had a GCC for about 8 years, all through school, college, and shift jobs. He was used to be alone at different times for hours, and I didn't think much of it. We humans do the same to dogs and cats, right. When I finally began my career, I knew he would be alone for at least 9 hours a day, so I got another GCC. I read all the stories of how our bond could break. How they might like each other more than me. Scare story after scare story. For me at least, they were all WRONG. By coincidence, the second bird was a girl, and although they are a mated pair now, we all have a great time together. My wife and I can both tell the boy bird is happier now. And interestingly, the boy bird likes my wife more now (stays with her as much as possible) and the girl bird absolutely loves me. The two of them might be glued to us one day, and off doing their own thing the next. It's been 10 years of us all together and everyone gets along and knows when to be more attached and when to give more space. Most importantly, my wife and I never have to feel bad for leaving because they have each other. Now, the reason I said being alone for them is traumatizing is because whenever I have to separate them (for illness or hormones), or one has flown off into another room, or even when we leave for work, the sad calls they make break my heart. They are distressed. Knowing I left the boy bird alone at different times for 8 years... I was a bad parent. Birds aren't like cats or dogs, they need constant attention and a flock. So if you daily leave the house, I would get them a friend. Birds mating can be a hassle, so if you're sure it's a girl, you might try another girl, or a similarly sized different species, like a cockatiel, but someone else will have to advise on that. Right now just decide if they go solo or not.

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Winston ... 6 month old green cheek conure
4 budgies ( parakeet)
Many thanks everyone!!
Just some food for thought... I had a male gcc for around 6 months and decided to get a female...
Got her and waited a month before letting them see one another (quarantine)
after another month of cages next to one another I finally let them out of the cages one at a time (not together)
The female immediately went after the males toes to bite them
6 months later things seemed to be calming so I let them out together... bad idea .. she attacked
It's almost a year now ...the male trying to make friends but she isn't going for it ... so I give them out of cage time one at a time and have to keep an eye on them when they climb on the cages so the male doesn't loose any toes...
Be prepared for the possibility that introducing a second bird doesn't mean they will fall in love at first sight..
good luck

OP
N

neenalou

Sep 15, 2023
Parrots
Green cheeked conure
This is all really helpful, thank you! I work from home so she has company all day, and as soon as the kids get home she is on their heads and shoulders all evening getting neck rubs!! She is super affectionate, so I think maybe I don't rock the boat - she seems happy.
Now I just need to gradually swap her onto pellets... She has very strong opinions about food so I think this is going to be a slow process!!
IMG20230806165335.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts