New Green Cheek Conure

T13

Sep 2, 2017
Kingston, Ont.
Parrots
4 Budgies 2 males and 2 females.
Sheldon,Raj,Elsa, Anna and my GCC Joey.
Hi. Im new here.
So next weekend ill be bringing home a baby green cheek conure. Ive never had a conure before. I have 4 budgies right now and have cared for macaws before.
So i was wondering what kind of things to expect, dos and donts and anything important I should know.
Thanks.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1504118636808-1.jpg
    FB_IMG_1504118636808-1.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 164

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Expect, the unexpected. Heck I could detail a lot of things but that would ruin the surprise!!!!

You are about to adopt a brilliant and independent minded bird that LOVES affection, both giving and receiving. Just do me a favor, when a GCC is new he might nip a bit because he's a silly newborn. Use the search function and look at all the GCC biting threads before you post, we've pretty much beaten it to death with how to solve it.

Once you get him please come on and tell us what's happened and post pics!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Welcome and look forward to reading more.

Adorable baby, those eyes get me every time.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome! Only positive reinforcements with your baby, never try to challenge head on! That doesn't mean giving in to everything!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed and congrats. Conures for the most part are tempermentally similar to Macaws, testing limits and can be very cuddly. Can be, not 100% thing though. Read, read, read everything in the conure sub forum and stickies on biting control. Good luck.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
GOSH Im just about jealous. If I was younger I'd like to ad to my lil flock myself. With conures you get a whole lotta bird in a tiny lil package.. complete with surprising smarts for a brain the size of a blackeyed pea. Be sure and find you a good vet and get lil birdie a checkup fairly quick. Establish a good healthy diet, safe surroundings, and get a routine going in the home. And communication has been my key. They learn well if u use short words and phrases coupled with gestures, just like human children. Good luck!!!!!!!

Katu

May 27, 2017
GTA, ON
Parrots
Male blue budgie!
Welcome! What a beautiful bird. I'm on a waiting list for a GCC myself, but it looks like it'll be 5-6 months from now at the earliest. :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Good luck with your little conure when he comes.

Most Reactions

Latest posts