Warning: Do not use scented waxes, they could kill.

Katherine1

Sep 1, 2017
I bought and used scented wax cubes in the same room as my conure. That evening my conure had trouble breathing and died. I am devastated. I knew about teflon fumes and never used teflon cookware but I did not know scented wax could kill my conure. I hope this information reaches people who own birds. I feel devastated at my loss and the suffering he endured.

Paulmandy

Feb 17, 2017
I bought and used scented wax cubes in the same room as my conure. That evening my conure had trouble breathing and died. I am devastated. I knew about teflon fumes and never used teflon cookware but I did not know scented wax could kill my conure. I hope this information reaches people who own birds. I feel devastated at my loss and the suffering he endured.
I am sorry to hear of your loss.
Hugs xx

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I was kind of like wait this can't be real...then I googled it.....Yes there is a toxin release that probably doesn't effect us as much is there. Your right THANK YOU for the heads up! Everyone should also look this up.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Thanks for the heads up. So sorry you found out the hard way. Heart goes out to ya.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Oh my goodness, I am sooo sorry.

I was a huge Yankee Candle burner. Until my breeder told me no scented candles, no fabreeze (sp?) or anything of the like. I threw everything out before I brought Levi home.

Thinking of you .... :(

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Katherine was this recently? I am sorry you did not know this and learned the very hardest way there is about these candles.

Right before we got Salty a relative made a gift of dozens of Yankee Candle candles, all scented. We regifted them, as I knew about this years ago.

Moderators, can we maybe post on the first page of the forum the dangers household items may pose for parrots? Something like THINGS THAT CAN HARM YOUR PARROT linked to a list of things like Teflon , Scented candles etc right up front so interested folks see it right off the bat.

AkridChaos

Aug 31, 2017
USA
Parrots
Rescue Budgie: Snowball (blue/grey)
Normal Budgie: Oliver (yellow/green)
Black Capped Conure: Warbeak
Parrotlet: Lily, Rest In Peace
Canary-Winged Parakeet: Stryker
That's horrible! I'm so sorry to hear! My heart goes out to you. That's the worst possible way you could've found out.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Katherine was this recently? I am sorry you did not know this and learned the very hardest way there is about these candles.

Right before we got Salty a relative made a gift of dozens of Yankee Candle candles, all scented. We regifted them, as I knew about this years ago.

Moderators, can we maybe post on the first page of the forum the dangers household items may pose for parrots? Something like THINGS THAT CAN HARM YOUR PARROT linked to a list of things like Teflon , Scented candles etc right up front so interested folks see it right off the bat.

Al, did you miss this?

http://www.parrotforums.com/new-mem...friendly-warnings-keep-your-parrots-safe.html

Most Reactions