New Grey owner

Petri

Jul 31, 2013
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Hi there! New here. Just brought home my baby grey Monday. He's doing great so far, adjusting well :) I was just wondering if it's normal for them to make this noise that is kind of like a slight sneeze, or clearing ur throat with a little cough?
I'm not sure what that means.

Thanks everyone!

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Welcome and congrats on your new baby grey! Have you taken him/her for a vet visit yet? If not, I would definitely mention it when you go. I think I recall my grey going through that when I first brought him home 13 years ago and after a few days of getting used to his environment it stopped. I talked to the vet and he told me to keep an eye on it. I did and it went away. I would definitely consult your vet and rule out any other issues, though. Good luck. Pics are always appreciated! :D

OP
P

Petri

Jul 31, 2013
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Thanks! I have not yet, but will definitely mention it when I go. I called the breeder too to make sure it wasn't an emergency. He said that it happens sometimes.

And pics to follow :) I've taken so many already because no matter what he's doing he looks adorable lol

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
They are very cute when they are that little. :D

I remember those days fondly when Quincy was little! Can't believe he is 13 now! LOL!

Time sure does fly. Enjoy your new baby and keep us posted on how he/she is doing.

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Hey, congrats.
Mine sneezes sometimes, so I guess it's fine.

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Oh yeh, and we'll be glad to see some pictures and tell us a bit more about your Grey. How old is it, is it a boy or a girl.

OP
P

Petri

Jul 31, 2013
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Not sure if it's a boy or girl yet! S/he's seven weeks old, name's Petri (unless it's a girl, then we'll have to reconsider lol) how old do they have to be around before they can be DNA sexed? and I was looking into it a bit, does taking a feather from them hurt? I think I rather not know if it does lol

AUHeel

Jun 28, 2013
NC
Parrots
Sherlock - Male CAG
Not sure if it's a boy or girl yet! S/he's seven weeks old, name's Petri (unless it's a girl, then we'll have to reconsider lol) how old do they have to be around before they can be DNA sexed? and I was looking into it a bit, does taking a feather from them hurt? I think I rather not know if it does lol

They can be sexed at any time. Have your vet do it and it will be quite quick. Many birds have had it done and show no ill effects. Welcome from another new member. Can't wait to see pics!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Welcome! Is this your first parrot? African Greys are a bit challenging, make sure you introduce your young grey to new objects, situations, and people daily. Harness training is a amazing way to do this, that way you can safely take your bird on walks and they get to experience lots of situations. African Greys are wary and become phobic if they do not get these new experiances. Simple things are letting tbem see the light switch turn on and off, and let them see various objects.

It's fantastic you've joined this forum, it is a wealth of information :)

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
Just had mine tested, didn't use feathers because you need to pluck a few from the chest, just filed a nail to get a few drops of blood, results were back within a week. when you take him in for his first vet check your going to have blood work anyway so it can easily be done

Last edited:

AUHeel

Jun 28, 2013
NC
Parrots
Sherlock - Male CAG
Just had mine tested, didn't use feathers because you need to pluck a few from the chest, just filed a nail to get a few drops of blood, results were back within a week. when you take him in for his first vet check your going to have blood work anyway so it can easily be done

They actually did Sherlock the same way when he was tested.

OP
P

Petri

Jul 31, 2013
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I introduce him/her to something new everyday, including different objects/rooms of the house. And I just got his harness in the other day to get him used to that as well. S/he's so lively and such a curious little fella. I also tell him/her what I'm doing, and give every object a name. S/he's also starting to sample foods and loves carrots and corn!

OP
P

Petri

Jul 31, 2013
Parrots
Congo African Grey
petri-albums-petri-picture9333-petri.jpg
petri-albums-petri-picture9334-napping-shoe.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts