New here and just got new older Macaw!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Welcome to the forum, Lynn. :)

Once I learned what "pinion" was my jaw hit the floor. :eek: :(

Happy to see Ruthie is now in a good, loving home.

Here is the thread that explains "bite pressure":
http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/37547-soon-b-g-parent-few-questions.html

As for Ruthie being afraid of the spray bottle, you could take her into the shower. My big macs take showers there. I built them a simple shower perch, and they LOVE their baths.
http://www.parrotforums.com/do-yourself/27017-diy-shower-perch-very-easy.html

And if you don't want to do the shower perch thingy, many folks use a simple shower rod and place their birds on them. You can first wrap it with some vet wrap, to make it less slippery for them. :)

OP
L

Lynn57

Apr 4, 2014
Thanks everyone! I love her!! She is so cool! Love the tongue and how she works things. I went and got a bunch of stuff to make a gym for her. I'll post pic's if it works! If it doesn't you wont see anything LOL I used a medical chair with a rail on it and put her in the shower today, she just sat there and I was able to get her pretty darn wet. Then I gently toweled her off with a towel! I also got her to flap her short little wings for a bit...and back to top of cage in the sunshine. I'm very happy with how it is going.
My dogs I feel will be fine with her in time. I have two small bostons, one chin and one standard poodle pup. They seem more interested in "getting the bird to feed them" then anything else! LOL But no worries, I won't take any chances.
cheers
Lynn

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Pinioning a bird is nothing short of barbaric in my opinion!

And 7 to 10 is young. In fact, the 7 to 12 years are the "problem behavior years" where they become hormonal for the first time. VERY YOUNG...

Older for a macaw I'm thinking somewhere in the 40 to 60 range...

My macaw shower perch is called an ARM. Seriously! Turn the water on, and mine are dancing for joy...

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
OP
L

Lynn57

Apr 4, 2014

Most Reactions

Latest posts