New here, considering getting first parrot!

Steamy

Feb 14, 2013
Hello, my name is Steamy and I have quite a lengthy story! However, to put it short, I have recently had to flee my home due to physical and mental abuse and escape across the country to live with an old friend of mine.

I am a high school student, and am admittedly quite young and inexperienced in the bird front. In the past I've owned many other animals of varying shades of difficulty (worth mentioning is a troubled bun that ended up in my care, Ares, from a past abusive home: he was a difficult one to figure out, but I did manage to bring him out of his shell-- he was litter trained and had full run of the house. I spoiled him rotten /w an organic diet and top quality hay.) and sorts. Our house always seemed to be the "dumping ground" for pets people in our family bought on a whim and decided that, once the pet got to be work, they didn't want.

There is a good chance that I may be employed on a site I frequent as an artist. Since my move, missing an animal in my life has been really lonely. It always turned out that the most difficult/quirky pets I owned are the ones I remember most fondly, and I miss that sort of challenge in an animal.

The past few weeks I have gotten very engrossed in parrots of all sorts. I never considered owning a bird because I had never had much experience nor knowledge on them, but reading up they seem like delightful creatures with a whole slew of needs and a lot of personality and love to give. I have a lot of patience, a nice amount of money to anticipate, and a lot of time to share with an animal who needs it and I've given thought to bringing a bird into my life.

I was thinking about maybe getting a cockatiel or a lovebird, or likely even adopting one from a rescue. I've lots of research and thinking and preparation to do, as it's a long-term decision and commitment, but hey! I figured joining the forums would be a nice first step and a good learning experience. So hello!

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
Hi Steamy and sorry for your difficult situation.

First let me say that owning a parrot is not a fad thing nor is it meant to be a temporary situation. When you bring a parrot home it should be with the intention of being a lifetime commitment.

Since you mention a Cockatiel, I think that would be a fantastic parrot for you and fairly easy to take care of and their is a wealth a info about the on the web. Their fun and will whistle you songs. I think they are so intelligent to remember all the tunes that the can. I'm amazed by them.

Good luck!

OP
S

Steamy

Feb 14, 2013
Oh, I've no illusions that any pet at all should be a fad pet-- ending up with too many animals over the years that people bought on a whim or because they "looked cute" and later could not take care of, I've been lucky enough to be naturally cautious in my decisions and take a long time to research and consider. I'm just testing the waters and poking my head around! Perhaps volunteering at a local shelter to help care for the birds at some point may be a good idea.

Thank you for the welcome and input, I deeply appreciate it!

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
I think volunteering at a local bird shelter would be outstanding. That would help you to really get an understanding of parrots needs, the work involved in taking care of the, and you never know, you may find a parrot that you connect with. Good luck!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Welcome to the forum:)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I think volunteering at a local avian shelter or even joining a local bird club would be a fantastic first step. That way, you can gain some first hand experience with parrots without the commitment of taking one home when you are so unsure/inexperienced. You may even find you have a special bond with a particular bird you work with, and be able to adopt him/her when you're ready. I agree fully that you shouldn't go into this blind. Parrots of all sizes are so vastly different behaviorally and care needs-wise than furry animals. While you may have been a great pet owner with dogs/cats/rabbits ect... you may come to find the noise level, mess, destructive capabilities, occasional bites, difficult training process, extensive daily food-prep and expense that comes with parrots is not for you. It takes a special person who is willing to be ok with and have the dedication for those things that come with owning a parrot that you do not have when caring for other pets. That said, you may also find they are all you could ever ask for in a companion animal. Most of the users on this forum would probably agree parrots are the best animal friends you can have, so long as your willing to put in the effort and accept their natural tendencies. Best of luck to you!

MAA65

Feb 17, 2013
Upstate New York
Parrots
2 CAG, Oliver (35yo) and Charlie (10yo), 1 BF Amazon Murphy(23 yo) and 1 B&G Macaw Tuce McGee (30 yo)
Hi Steamy, I am so sorry for your difficult life, I sincerely hope you can get beyond the betrayal of abuse in your life's journey. Please please, visit or volunteer at a bird rescue or sanctuary before acquiring a bird. Birds are not like domestic cats and dogs and we now have record numbers of parrots and pet birds being abandoned, abused and neglected. I have had birds for over 50 years, but knowing what I know now, I would never support breeders or pet stores. (two of my parrots are re-homed) If after visiting a sanctuary, you still want a bird, get a cockatiel. They make sweet and loving first bird pets. Good luck with your healing process, animals help in so many ways.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
I would never support breeders

I support my breeder very strongly, she went above and beyond in educating me and teaching many things I didn't know before. She also became a VERY dear friend of mine in the process. I'd appreciate it if you didn't group all breeders as bad people although some very well are and just look for a profit. My breeder also runs a rescue as well and takes in all kinds of birds. She receives no compensation at all for what she does either for the rescues and does it all on her own. Don't blame people like this for people that buy the birds without researching and knowing what they're getting into before buying a bird. Lastly, my breeder will NOT sell to just anybody, she is VERY selective who she'll sell to.

Most Reactions

Latest posts