New here, got a couple of questions.

Burliest1

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2014
Fort Worth
Parrots
1 cinnamon green cheek- Jewel
Hello. We are in the process of adopting a G2 and I have a few things that I am curious about knowing. To start, we have a green cheek (Jewel) and she is wonderful. I love her very much but she is really my daughters bird. So, I had it in my heart for a long time that I wanted another bird in our family. We have selected a female G2 (Maggie) and will be bring her home in a few weeks (after we return from our vacation). The first question is: To clip her wings or not? We clip Jewels wings. We have just found that it is safer for her. She is tiny and when she is out, she gets scared by household noises and takes off in flight. When she can fly and gain altitude it just isn't safe. She could be stepped on just trying to find where she went! With her clipped she is only able to flutter down to a nearby piece of furniture and we can easily see her and return her to her perch. So... Do I/should I clip Maggie? She is only a little over a year and a half and isn't clipped. I see her as a little larger and not so fragile? But I could be wrong. I clip for safety and I am not sure Maggie will need it or if it is even something that you do to a Goffin. The second question is : How do I introduce the two birds? I plan on a quarantine period to be safe (along with a vet visit) and Jewel is normally in a separate room anyway. Should I have their cages close for short periods? Should intros be done outside the cage? How does this work?
I am sure there will be some trial and error in regards to a lot of things when we bring her home but I am most nervous and insecure about how to go about Jewel and Maggie meeting.
Any info anyone may have or any experiences or knowledge you can share will be much appreciated.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hi welcome! This topic of "clipping wings" is a controversial subject that can get rather heated, as people have passionate opinions on both sides of the fence... thankfully the mods keep that in check :).

IMO it depends on the individual situation of the household. One of mine has never flown in 20 years and literally finds it a foreign concept. He is good weight, happy, and it has never negatively impacted his health. My others have fledged but are now clipped for safety reasons, and not such a heavy clip that they drop like a rock. They are happy and I can tell you their mental or physical well being has not been impacted because of it.

THAT BEING SAID, in a different home of mine (when it was a safer situation), I had 2 birds besides Robin. These two birds were flighted, and have always only known flight. It would have felt cruel taking that away from them because it's all they have known.

I don't think anyone who is knowledgeable about birds clips just for the heck of it. It is always for a good reason. Usually for household safety and/or reasons of aggression. Remember when having flighted birds, there are MANY who fly out of open doors and get away. Another thing to be mindful of.

Best wishes on your adoption of Maggie :)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
You have to do what's best for each situation. I clipped my sennies because they were easily startled and kept smashing into stuff. My linnies are flighted and so is our new mac. That could change with the mac, but I think we'll leave her flighted.

Most Reactions