Is this a good idea?

Dinodude

Jun 23, 2014
My cockatoo is isolated in my bedroom and I have even told it is good idea to have her in a more active part of the house. Is this a good idea? My cockatoo is a bit shy. Would it be a good idea to keep her in a cage in our living room? And the kitchen is nearby ( I know the fumes are toxic but I can move the cage) but if she sees food being cooked, would it be bad?

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Even though she is a bit shy, it's better to have them in a central location where they can still be with their "flock" even if they're in the their cage.

My galah is in our living room, which is the most active place- but it is also open to the dining room and kitchen (they're all one big open room). Her cage is in the opposite corner from the kitchen- as long as you're using bird-safe cookware and using good ventilation if need be, it's fine. I always put Chili in her cage though when I'm cooking to prevent any accidents if she were to fly into the kitchen.

I tried putting Chili in a bedroom during the day, but that didn't work out so well- she did not like it one bit [emoji51] but! being in the middle of everything is what she's used to.

OP
D

Dinodude

Jun 23, 2014
Even though she is a bit shy, it's better to have them in a central location where they can still be with their "flock" even if they're in the their cage.

My galah is in our living room, which is the most active place- but it is also open to the dining room and kitchen (they're all one big open room). Her cage is in the opposite corner from the kitchen- as long as you're using bird-safe cookware and using good ventilation if need be, it's fine. I always put Chili in her cage though when I'm cooking to prevent any accidents if she were to fly into the kitchen.

I tried putting Chili in a bedroom during the day, but that didn't work out so well- she did not like it one bit [emoji51] but! being in the middle of everything is what she's used to.

Ok I'll be trying this out ASAP!!
And what methods are there to train your bird to step up? My bird ignores my hand :/
She let's me let her head though

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Are you offering treats or some sort of reward when you ask her to step up? Chili will work for verbal praise, but food is a high motivator for her (lol). Find your girl's favorite treat and offer your hand or arm, "step up!" (You may have to show her the treat) and reward her the moment she steps up.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Shirre (getwozzy), gave you excellent advice! I read your first post and I agree I think your cockatoo would be happier in a busier part of your house. Parrots don't do well when they are isolated in a room by themselves. They are highly intelligent and most of them enjoy feeling involved. Even the shyest parrots crave positive attention and interaction.

My bird room is between my kitchen and famy room. If you take the precautions Shirre mentioned, to keep your bird safe, I think moving him to a busier room would be a great step to make him a happier cockatoo. Please give us updates on his progress.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
My cockatoo is a very nervy little thing, but I've always kept her in the living room and she does great - I leave the cage open when I'm home and she beetles back and forth between the cage and wherever I am.

Kitchens are easy enough to manage: the main thing you need to watch for is certain materials which release fumes - use ceramic or stainless steel pots and pans and avoid non-stick, teflon based materials. If you google or do a forum search on bird safe cookware you'll quickly get an idea as to what is safe. The other issue is safety when there are hot pans or surfaces, so if your bird can't be trusted to stay in one place she'll have to go back in the cage when you're cooking.

How long have you had her - is she fairly new to you?

OP
D

Dinodude

Jun 23, 2014
My cockatoo is a very nervy little thing, but I've always kept her in the living room and she does great - I leave the cage open when I'm home and she beetles back and forth between the cage and wherever I am.

Kitchens are easy enough to manage: the main thing you need to watch for is certain materials which release fumes - use ceramic or stainless steel pots and pans and avoid non-stick, teflon based materials. If you google or do a forum search on bird safe cookware you'll quickly get an idea as to what is safe. The other issue is safety when there are hot pans or surfaces, so if your bird can't be trusted to stay in one place she'll have to go back in the cage when you're cooking.

How long have you had her - is she fairly new to you?

She has been with me for 1 year. I got her when she was 6 months old.

OP
D

Dinodude

Jun 23, 2014
Are you offering treats or some sort of reward when you ask her to step up? Chili will work for verbal praise, but food is a high motivator for her (lol). Find your girl's favorite treat and offer your hand or arm, "step up!" (You may have to show her the treat) and reward her the moment she steps up.

I have been doing that for quite some time...

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Have a look at this video. I reckon this is the cleverest, least confronting way of teaching a bird to step up. Also, the stars are Australian! It has to be good, right? :D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe0pW5v7vOs"]Parrot Training Clips from Parrot Care & Training Seminar - YouTube[/ame]

(NB. Gang Gang Cockatoos live not too far from where I do and I'm hoping they might visit my yard eventually. I have planted casuarina trees in the hope they'll be attracted to them. Wish me luck!)

OP
D

Dinodude

Jun 23, 2014
Have a look at this video. I reckon this is the cleverest, least confronting way of teaching a bird to step up. Also, the stars are Australian! It has to be good, right? :D

Parrot Training Clips from Parrot Care & Training Seminar - YouTube

(NB. Gang Gang Cockatoos live not too far from where I do and I'm hoping they might visit my yard eventually. I have planted casuarina trees in the hope they'll be attracted to them. Wish me luck!)
I wish you luck!
I've kinda tried doing that method before. I think I'll take stuff a bit slower and I'll report when I have finally trained my bird to step up.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Cockatoos will always thrive better where there is more activity. Parrots 'generally speaking' will. My parrots (especially Robin I've had nearly 20 years) have become ACCUSTOMED to NOT necessarily being right in the center of activity over the years. He's really easy going to whatever or however things are or need to be. HOWEVER, he is not a Cockatoo (or a Macaw). Those, and most larger species I'd say it would be pretty much mandatory to cater to their needs, as the larger species are going to have less tolerance when it comes to having to adjust to OUR needs.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Some birds do take a lot longer to make progress with than others, and it's particularly hard if you're a beginner yourself. Alice takes a long time to pick anything up and easily gets stressed if asked to do something she doesn't understand, so training is a question of tiny sessions and not expecting immediate results. The good part is, when you do start to make progress the tinyest little steps feel like great achievements!

Betrisher, how amazing to see Gang Gangs in the wild! They're such beautiful birds - I always assumed they were galah sized but the one in the clip looks quite a bit bigger. I got to make friends with a Major Mitchell the other day, and I guess the Gang Gang is more that sort of proportion?

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
Our RBC was a breeder for 12 years and was extremely shy (even neurotic)around people.
We purposely put him right in the living room so he'd be in the center of all the action. Took a few months, but he now comes out of his cage on his own and has become (in his own way) part of the flock.

Most Reactions

Latest posts