New here: Need to know how to string toys

elaine7717

Sep 5, 2012
I just bought a large container of parrot wood blocks at big lots. They all have holes in them and are parrot safe. I wondering the best material to string them on. My birds are cockateils. One is rather laid back 7 year old male. His best buddy is Toast and close to one year old male. Because he comically only says "Where's my toast at seemingly random times". Like when I cover the cage. or at 3 am when I am watching tv. They are in an adjacent room to living room with the lights off And his friend sleeping and he still does this . Wow what a boy.Toast is a very aggressive player. If it's a bell wooden toy almost anything plastic toast speedily dismantles it. He is a joy to watch.Dakota is the studious one. He can say do the dance and enthusiastically flaps his wings. He tries to no avail to teach this to Toast who eyeballs him like what are you doing.He also says Watcha doing and pretty pretty bird. He know close to half a dozen whistles. He also smacks his beak if he sees me eating or drinking. I think cockatiels are one ofthebird any avian enthusiast should own in their life.:yellow1:

Last edited:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
You can use bird safe rope, leather or stainless steel as in kebabs...

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
I prefer to use leather string. I also like to make new toys out of old ones. I throw away any parts that are destroyed and keep the ones that are still good. I will restring them onto either leather or the metal chains from previous toys.

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
Sisal and untreated cotton are also bird safe ropes. and you can tie them in a knot and let them fray at the end as a bit of a preening toy too :p

Most Reactions

Latest posts