New home to a african gray

arielscongo

Apr 26, 2017
Lakewood NJ
Parrots
congo african gray
So hello everyone my name is Ariel, married with 5 kids, this past Sunday I got a 5 year old congo african gray from some one that had him with 3 other african grays all in one room in separate cages, I will like to point out that this small room had 5 large flat screen TV’s all over the walls I’m assuming that when this person went to work every day he had them on for the parrots, another fact is that he told me that he never holds his parrots and I think he never let them out, but he got them as hand fed parrots, out of the 4, 3 look in good shape full feathered and only one is not, I have to admit it was a strange seen to see,
Anyways I got of african gray fully feathered, looks in good shape, he told me that he had him for 4 months, and he got him from a well known parrot shop in NJ next to Philadelphia, he traded an Amazon that was too noise for him for the african gray, and now he just wants to make room in this room which he sleeps in as well.
So after I left with the parrot and the cage I took him to a parrot shop that specializes only in parrots in NJ just to get some food to start with I had the store owner clip the nails and overall check, I know it’s not a vet check but just to have someone with over 25 years of experience take a look, she told me that he looks grate.
He is 5 years old I know that is still young, but is it too late to change old behavior habits? since we got him he seems to be doing ok, active all over the cage in and out, eating and drinking, he is a talker and we are still finding out how much of a talker he is.
Me or my wife cant get him to come on to our hands but he dose want us to be next to him, he likes the company, when we walk away he wants attention, but still will no come on our hands.
and I will like to know what are the early sings of a parrot starting to pluck, hot can I know if the feathers that are on the bottom of the cage are normal, and its just him grooming him self or he is starting to pluck himself.
I know parrots need tons of time and patients, just want to see what you guys has to say.
Thanks a lot.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sadly, most prior owners stories are just that stories. It is very possible that you dealt with a 'flipper' and not an owner.

What to do now is really where you are and what kind of future is possible.

Lets start with that Avian Vet 'New Parrot' examination. This is really important because, in truth, you really have very little knowledge regarding the Parrot's age, sex or health today! It's also a great time to learn from an expert with your Parrot at hand to cover what the the CAV is looking for and what information is found during the examination.

Diet - In the later half of the list of Forums is one that speaks to Diet. Read and learn. Diet is a critical part of assuring good health.

The Cage - Consider a very detailed cleaning of the cage. With warmer weather the next couple of days, take it outside of a solid wash. I like Dawn Original dish soap and hot water with a stiff brush. Rise with drinking quality water several times and allow to dry in Sunlight. Roosting perches want to be natural wood branch style branches. Size: 2" diameter varying over its length - do not use dowels. Toys lots of chew toys.

Now to what you really wanted to know: Can this Parrot become a happy member of our home. Answer: Yes! But it depends far more on the Humans then the Parrot. Trash your timelines and expectations.

You're Parents and have survived those wonderful early years. Well its back to those early days, except you are going to do its without diapers in place. So, take a crash refresher of baby in-house. The tools you used with Human babies will be very helpful with your new Parrot.

Step-up is part of the daily training. The more you have your parrot out of the cage, the quicker the Trust Building. Only good things happen to the Parrot when Humans are around!

Parrot are not dogs, they are not into to being petted all the time!

Dig around Parrot Forums especially the last half of the Forum!

Oh, Parrot's love to be read to - so pull up a chair or set the Parrot near by or on your arm and read the Forums, the Paper, Office paperwork - the Parrot does not care! Its all being with his People time.

I know that there is not much meat to the above, but this is meant to be used more as an outline for you to fill in.

More tomorrow!

Last edited:

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
From personal experience of being new to parrots and the forums myself. Just a big heads up in the expert knowledge you will find here on this forum. Sailboats has been a savior with invaluable information for myself and many others I'm sure. Listen, read, and learn its amazing the journey. But like everything else you get out what you put in. That certainly sounds like a strange situation may I ask how much this fellow charged for the bird? No worries if you don't feel comfortable telling us its kind of a rude question but as you say it was an odd setup. Oh and I've kind of wanted to say this to somebody, Its never the parrots fault. Greys are so smart my Timneh amazes me everyday, I just got a harness, a skate board, and a shopping cart for Timneh :) Gonna be a fun summer.

Last edited:
OP
A

arielscongo

Apr 26, 2017
Lakewood NJ
Parrots
congo african gray
Well I have to say that I don’t think I was dealing with a parrot flipper, I got the parrot for $500!!!! With the cage, this is a guy works for bank of America as a stock and options broker, I just don’t think he really cares for the $ and maybe is mother was just driving him crazy to get rid of one parrot. The store I went to after I got the parrot knows him, and the store that he exchange the Amazon for the African gray, I did call them to confirm.
Any was he seems happy to spend a lot of time out of the cage and he like when we are next to him and take food from our hand but will to come up to our hand yet, I know it’s still early, it seems that his diet was the typical African gray mix, but it looks like he is going only for the seeds and nuts, he is not eating the fruits and vegetables, so any tips of what to try, I know a lot of good table food is good for parrots, but is their somethings that African grays like the most?
And what should a first time vet checkup cost?
Thanks for the help.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Parrot Flippers come in a wide cross-section of types. Anywhere from the individual that quickly becomes bored -to the active individual that targets people who bought a Parrot with no knowledge, things went badly and are dumping the Parrot. The primary connecting reality is that none of them keep a Parrot for very long, whether that be days, weeks or months.

The goal of the vast majority of members here is to provide a 'Forever Home' for their Parrot! And, there in lays the difference.

There is no reason for a Parrot to trust a Human! The Human needs to build /gain the trust of the Parrot. Trust is built with time and finding that only good things happen when the Humans are around! Consider a very young child is pulled from a loving home and thrusted into several other places and than another home. This is their reality, they are looking for conformation that this new place is safe and caring, and that they will be here long enough to trust these new Humans.

Change the feeling schedule to place veggies and the like in the morning and the Dry Foods later in the day. As time passes remove the SunFlower seeds and Peanuts. They can be used (limited use) as Treats as part of training.

An Avian Vet charges vary greatly depending on where they are located and the cost to operate in those locations. You are likely in one of the higher cost regions in North America. So, your costs will be much higher. Your area could see between $400 and $700 for a full 'new' parrot examination. The costs are always higher for a 'new' parrot examination due the the extensive examination and testing required. You are developing the foundation of your Parrots Health.

You could always call the prior owner and get the name of the Vet he took this Parrot to and have him transfer the Parrots history to your name (same Vet) or to your new Avian Vet.

Well I have to say that I don’t think I was dealing with a parrot flipper, I got the parrot for $500!!!! With the cage, this is a guy works for bank of America as a stock and options broker, I just don’t think he really cares for the $ and maybe is mother was just driving him crazy to get rid of one parrot. The store I went to after I got the parrot knows him, and the store that he exchange the Amazon for the African gray, I did call them to confirm.
Any was he seems happy to spend a lot of time out of the cage and he like when we are next to him and take food from our hand but will to come up to our hand yet, I know it’s still early, it seems that his diet was the typical African gray mix, but it looks like he is going only for the seeds and nuts, he is not eating the fruits and vegetables, so any tips of what to try, I know a lot of good table food is good for parrots, but is their somethings that African grays like the most?
And what should a first time vet checkup cost?
Thanks for the help.

OP
A

arielscongo

Apr 26, 2017
Lakewood NJ
Parrots
congo african gray
I will definitely do the vet check, but should I do it right away of give him a 2-3 weeks to adjust to his new home.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I will definitely do the vet check, but should I do it right away of give him a 2-3 weeks to adjust to his new home.

There are widely different view as to whether it is done ASAP or to allow the Parrot to adjust!.

I believe in doing it ASAP, to a point that when I pick-up the Amazon prior to even going home, I go directly to our CAV. But, that's me! My reasonings are personal and based on the tragic loss of a YNA. In addition, I believe that the Parrot's World is upside down early-on and being the saving Human from those evil Vet people goes to developing the bond, due to the fact that unless there is a problem, it will be a year before that happens again.

At this point, you are home and it becomes your choice.

FYI: The loss of a home and the new home is a highly stressful period for Parrots and it is best to keep a very close eye on them for any signs of illness. Have your Avian Vets information at hand and be prepared to make a mad rush if you find yourself with a sick Parrot.

Last edited:

Most Reactions