New Indian Ringneck (pics + need some advice)

Jen144

Aug 20, 2010
Australia
Parrots
8 budgies, 2 cockatiels, 1 Ringneck
Hi all
I just got my first Ringneck on Tuesday (4 days ago). He is a beautiful Grey IRN, apparently 4 and 1/2 months old but we're not sure. Can anyone confirm his age please?

PIC_7612.jpg

Also, he is aviary-bred and I am trying to tame him. Everything people have said and I have read say that trying to tame an aviary raised IRN from even 4 and 1/2 months old will be veery hard and take a long time..However, in the 4 days I've had him, he now eats his favourite treat (peas) from between my fingers inside the cage!!

That's as far as I've gone so far, got to get him used to that before starting to teach him to step up. Is it that he is in a new environment and so is unconfident, and that's why he's eating from my hands already wen I thought it would be a million times harder? It's not like I'm forcing him AT ALL, I mean, I hold a pea near a different perch to the one he's on (actually a perch that is closer to me, even) so he has to walk over and take it. And he does!

Or have I just gotten lucky with a very easy to tame bird?

Also, considering he is 4.5 months old, I will probably have to go through the whole bluffing stage I've heard so much about in a couple months..I've heard a lot of conflicting advice about that...Say 'no' and push into the bite when he bites you, don't use your voice as punishment and just don't react and wait for him to stop, gently grab his beak, blow on his beak, distract him before he can bite you...What do I do there? (would very much like to know in advance!)

Anyway, any opinions on his age and tameness or anything else would be wonderful. Thank you!

parrotguy12

Aug 19, 2010
Media
Parrots
American Yellowface parrotlet "paquito"
Green IRN "Georgey"
2 budgies "lemon" and "sky"
i got mine older, n hes friendly now, do the blinking game blink and see if he blinks to, thats for him/her to see that ur not a predator, and just keep doing the same thing, talk 2 him/her, use ur tongue as a clicker and reward your IRN with his/her fav treat, it helped me

ringobird

Apr 9, 2012
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
You can't really tell how old a Indian Ringneck is. But with the taming just look up things on youtube and other sites. They should be able to give you tips on how to tame him:)

Donnalynn

Nov 23, 2013
Media
US
Parrots
Sun conure
Indian ringneck
: Hi, I just got an indian ring neck as well. I was told that if it is a boy, he will get a dark ring at about a year or two of age. My baby was very easy to tame...lots of Han d holding and bringing him with me from room to room...away from his cage. He was 7 months old when I got him. Teaching him step up...helped with that bluffing stage...good luck and enjoy!
Donnalynn
J
blue2:
Hi all
I just got my first Ringneck on Tuesday (4 days ago). He is a beautiful Grey IRN, apparently 4 and 1/2 months old but we're not sure. Can anyone confirm his age please?

PIC_7612.jpg

Also, he is aviary-bred and I am trying to tame him. Everything people have said and I have read say that trying to tame an aviary raised IRN from even 4 and 1/2 months old will be veery hard and take a long time..However, in the 4 days I've had him, he now eats his favourite treat (peas) from between my fingers inside the cage!!

That's as far as I've gone so far, got to get him used to that before starting to teach him to step up. Is it that he is in a new environment and so is unconfident, and that's why he's eating from my hands already wen I thought it would be a million times harder? It's not like I'm forcing him AT ALL, I mean, I hold a pea near a different perch to the one he's on (actually a perch that is closer to me, even) so he has to walk over and take it. And he does!

Or have I just gotten lucky with a very easy to tame bird?

Also, considering he is 4.5 months old, I will probably have to go through the whole bluffing stage I've heard so much about in a couple months..I've heard a lot of conflicting advice about that...Say 'no' and push into the bite when he bites you, don't use your voice as punishment and just don't react and wait for him to stop, gently grab his beak, blow on his beak, distract him before he can bite you...What do I do there? (would very much like to know in advance!)

Anyway, any opinions on his age and tameness or anything else would be wonderful. Thank you!

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
hes beautiful!! so adorable.im not sure on ringnecks,check out on pets.thenest.com you can type in 'how to tell the age of a ringneck parakeet' they have some pretty clear steps. though i think your ringneck is too young to tell. (im so sorry i dont know why my comp cant get that link.you'll just have to do all the typing yourself :p)

Most Reactions

Latest posts