New Janday - Bit Worried :(

Nexus

Jul 16, 2014
Australia
Parrots
Honey, Jenday Conure
Picked up my new Janday from a private breeder the other day, but I'm a little bit concerned he might be unwell.

I got him expecting a loud, active little thing with high energy that prefers humans to his cage. But my little bubs is very placid, barely makes a peep and loves his cage more than me.

I understand that he's in new surrounds, but he was hand reared, is eating well and doesn't appear to be stressed. So I'm not sure if this is just the way he is or if he's not feeling well. He literally just stays put wherever I place him - unless his cage is in sight, which he then attempts to get back to.

He's one year old, DNA cert male. His poop appears to be in order, but he's always fluffed up despite it being a mild temperature, and he is clipped, but can fly horizontally before gently losing altitude.

JellyBean

May 19, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure called JellyBean
He sounds like he is just getting used to his environment - would you tempt him out with some fresh fruit (Jellybean would do just about anything for grapes) or sunflower seeds?

If you are in doubt, bring him to the vet! Sometimes it is the only way to get peace of mind!

OP
N

Nexus

Jul 16, 2014
Australia
Parrots
Honey, Jenday Conure
He sounds like he is just getting used to his environment - would you tempt him out with some fresh fruit (Jellybean would do just about anything for grapes) or sunflower seeds?

If you are in doubt, bring him to the vet! Sometimes it is the only way to get peace of mind!

Tbh, I'm hoping he remains this placid and quiet, so long as he's not sick of course. But I was expecting a lot of noise, but I've only heard him squark about 4 times, and even then they were fairly low in volume.

It was love at first sight :)

Peepers

Jul 16, 2014
They do take a while to get adjusted, Aly my amazon was the same way, now shes the loudest bird. It took my budgies 2 weeks to settle in. Just give him some times, talk to him, he will come around. Most of my birds took a while to settle in.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Ha! When I got Rio, my Sennie, I though "wow, she is, so quiet" I thought for sure she wouldn't change. And then the day (about a month later) finally came when she let out this amazing ear shattering sound. My husband and I just stood still looking at each other, we laughed because we new that was only the beginning. Now she pops, clicks, whistles, talks a little, mimics, and screams with delight. :)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
If he continues to stay fluffed up I'd have him checked out IMO that's not normal even with a new bird. Quiet is normal until they get comfortable.

talkconure2me

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland Oh
Parrots
Diego- 7mo Jenday Conure
Maddie-1yr Green cheek
My jenday was the same when we first got him. He still isn't too bad, only in the morning when he wants me to wake up and take him out of his cage is he screaming that loud jenday screech! But he is generally quite unless he wants me, but he's usually with me. These birds are extremely sweet and cuddly but they get attached very easily. Anyone that walks into my house and sees the way he interacts with me is like wow your bird is obsessed with you. I love it, but at the same time it gets to be a little much, I have other little animals needing my love and time too! But my green check loves attention too, but is not as loud as my jenday. I love my jenday, he has bonded to me, and just loves to be loved, it's an amazing relationship. Good luck, I know you will just fall madly in love with your feather baby :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Frankly, it sounds to me like this bird wasn't handled much, if at all in the store, and he's a bit cage bound.

I would take him out away from the cage, and work with him someplace where he can't see it.

Sit down with him on your lap, and give him treats, attention, and teach him to play with toys. Conures tend to be good trick train birds, and this might perk his interest and make him more interactive with you... They seem to have the personality for it.

He probably just never learned how to play...

Most Reactions

Latest posts