New Kid on the Forum

wingsNthings

Mar 13, 2016
Texas
Parrots
Casey the Budgerigar and Wyatt the Cockatiel
Hello to all the bird lovers on the forum!

I'm Nicholas, I'm 15 at the time of this posting, and I live in Texas. Currently I don't own a parrot (I do have seven chickens, however), but I am preparing to get a budgerigar hopefully within the next month or so. I have wanted a parrot for at least seven years, and I am so excited to finally get one! Looking forward to support from all the knowledgeable bird owners on here. Thanks everyone!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hi Nicholas welcome to the forum :)!

I think you'll love having a budgie. I absolutely love mine, I have a standard and an English. This is a great place to learn everything you need to know before bringing your little one home. There are informational "Stickies" at the top of the budgie/parakeet subforum (as well as in all the subforums) that can provide useful info.

Where are you planning on getting your bird? The best place would be from a responsible breeder, or bird store who buys from a responsible breeder (not a broker), in order to get the healthiest bird. Also one that is hand fed will be much easier to tame into a nice little pet. Keep us posted.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have!

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Hi and welcome! Have you looked into how to choose a baby budgi if you're getting one from a pestore? Or are you adopting an adult? Budgies can make fun and cute little friends. Just remember small bird does not mean small cage. Petco has finch flight cages for $50 that I think would make a great option for a budgie. Its large enough to fit a lot of toys and still allow the new bird to move and flap around. Are you getting one or two?

OP
W

wingsNthings

Mar 13, 2016
Texas
Parrots
To RavensGryf: I plan on getting a budgie from a bird store called Adventures in Birds. Mainly because the other bird store in my area doesn't sell budgies, and all the breeders I could find were hours away. My drivers probably won't be willing to go that far!

To Ann333: I'm not sure if I'm getting one or two budgies. I originally planned on getting one, but I've begun to think that I'll probably end up wanting another, so it may be better to get two straight off. I've done extensive research on parrots in general and yes, I know bigger is better when it comes to cages! What are the dimensions of the cage you mentioned?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hi Nicholas, Welcome to the forums!

Best of luck choosing your budgie! Looking forward to hearing about your new companion.

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
W

wingsNthings

Mar 13, 2016
Texas
Parrots
Thanks! The first one is exactly what I plan on getting. I didn't know it was $50 new...which is what everyone is selling it used for!

And getting one budgie and bonding with it before getting another is a good idea. That way the first will help train/tame the second! Birdie see birdie do right?

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots

That's right. Also keeping them in separate cages might help them stay more tame, but I only have experience with green cheeks. Maybe Budgies would stay tame if cages together.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I would recommend taming one budgie first, to the point that it is bonded with you. Even then, it would be important to consistently handle your birds daily if you have it with another budgie. Once they're tame to a certain point, I don't think they'd ever 'completely' revert, but I think to keep the same level of being tame/bonded, you need to really devote individual time with your bird(s) on a regular basis.

OP
W

wingsNthings

Mar 13, 2016
Texas
Parrots
I never actually thought about tht...I heard lovebirds revert if you don't consistently handle them, but not budgie pairs. Thanks for the tip

Most Reactions

Latest posts