New lil' friend!

sofiaee

Jul 19, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC Oliver (October 2009), and a Cinnamon GCC Mia (August 2013)
Well I met up with someone on craigslist about rehoming their little cinnamon green cheek conure. I told them I just wanted to meet it but I had a feeling I would want to take it home unless it was really ill or something.

Anyways I got there are the people were very nice and completely honest about how little she (sex isn't really known) gets out of the cage. The wife said the bird would bite her and her daughter a lot but not her husband. She was surprised how I was able to touch her beak without her biting me. And since getting her home she still hasn't bit me. She's actually not nippy at all! Oliver bites me more and for sometimes no reason while this bird seems to do what it can to avoid biting. They must have been doing something wrong.

She is pretty hand shy but not hand aggressive, I think that's a very important distinction. She was also really interested in me and is interested in my sister and likes to be around people. She just isn't sure if she wants to be touched. I'm really confident that with time and patience she will come around. She seems so sweet! I managed to get her to step up, bribing her with food, so I could get her into the new cage. The new cage is actually a very old cage and it's temporary till I get Oliver's new cage, then she will inherit his. This temporary cage is bigger than hers was though. She was also fed a diet of seeds :/ The only good thing about that is how excited I am to see her feathering change with a healthier diet.

She's only the second green cheek I've interacted with at all and she already seems to have such a different personality than Oliver! I am excited to see more of that. She does this adorable little head bob, I think she'll be a good dancer.

Oh also, I have them both in separate rooms with the doors closed but the rooms are right next to each other. Is this still too close?? I'm really worried about that but there's not really any other place I can put her. If anyone has any good info or links about quarantine that would be really helpful. I've read some before but it's not fresh in my mind.

Here's some crappy iPhone pictures, I'll get some better ones soon :)

tumblr_mrnsoj5zpS1r2fjbno1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mrnsoj5zpS1r2fjbno2_1280.jpg

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
Oh my gosh she is so stinking cute. Congrats on your new baby!!!

OP
S

sofiaee

Jul 19, 2013
Parrots
She's so so pretty, I'm glad I got a cinnamon. The limey green color is beautiful. Hopefully I will be able to capture it better on camera tomorrow

OP
S

sofiaee

Jul 19, 2013
Parrots
Oh! Also I was wondering, she doesn't have a leg band but Oliver does. When they eventually meet could this cause issues? Should I have Oliver's removed?

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
My vet said the leg band wasn't necessary so we had it removed. I'm not sure if it would cause a problem.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Leg bands are kinda important IF you were moving out of state, moving into a state that requires it, etc. It's for proof purposes! But personally I absolutely don't like leg bands. It's cause problem for me in the past....It shouldn't bother them being together with the leg band, but you can have it removed at your vet clinic if you'd like.

OP
S

sofiaee

Jul 19, 2013
Parrots
Oh hmm.. Well it is possible that I might move out of state after a year or two..
It doesn't bother Oliver so I'll just leave it unless it starts causing issues.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
How cute! There's just something about green Cheeks(and other closely related species) that I love much.

I'm not sure about the QT, just being in the same house can compromise the whole point of it. just do the best you can :)

OP
S

sofiaee

Jul 19, 2013
Parrots
Ugh I am really freaking annoyed right now! My little sister went to go see the bird this morning while I had oliver out and she left the door wide open! So of course oliver flew in and landed right on top of the new birds cage. So we had a great 12 hours of quarantine -.-

I guess there's nothing I can do about it now but I'll keep them seperated because the new bird needs more training and time to acclimate.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
The main thing is contact! So keep them separated still. Some are airborne so if it's airborne even if it's in separate room won't help. Actual quarantine is completely separate building all together.

OP
S

sofiaee

Jul 19, 2013
Parrots
Okie dokie. I'm honestly not sure if they touched or not, I ran after him in a frenzy and scooped him up but she was near the top of the cage too

OP
S

sofiaee

Jul 19, 2013
Parrots
Little update: I'm doing the best I can to give Mia a relaxing non-threatening environment but of course everyone wants to see her. Which I think is fine. The problem arises with my brother who is an adult but acts like a child. For various reasons he's staying here right now and my other green cheek Oliver is deathly afraid of him, for good reason. I try to explain to him what he's doing wrong with Oliver but he never listens and comes to his own (very inaccurate) conclusions. Preferably I would have him not interact with my birds at all, unless he is willing to commit a lot of time reading about how to handle them more properly, but when I'm not home he'll ignore my pleas and do what he wants. Maybe I'll invest in locks but that just seems so extreme!

He's under the impression that Mia is a lot nicer and doesn't bite at all and that she already loves him. Personally she just seems timid and a little afraid/unsure. I kind of expect her to get a little nippier when she is more confident. I'm afraid that if he keeps trying to hangout with her (he's already tried getting her out while I wasn't around without asking me!) she will learn even worse behaviors than she already had. Sorry about the rant guys but my brothers interference is really aggravating to me. I sometimes feel like it undoes a lot of training that I've worked towards.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Your brother sounds like a idiot....lol.....how old is he???? Are you able to buy pad locks and lock all the doors on the cage when your not around???

OP
S

sofiaee

Jul 19, 2013
Parrots
He is... He's 23! To be honest he's having tough times but that doesn't excuse the selfishness.

Yes I think I should do that. I suppose if it comes with extra keys I can give those to my sister.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
They sell lock sets of a pack of small locks of 5 per pack? All same keys. Those work great!

diadins

Jul 10, 2013
WI
Parrots
Sun Conure-Iris
:greenyellow:New birds are so exciting. I hope both your little loves get along and are great friends!

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Just keep her on the diet she is used to though until you can switch her over gradually so that you know she is eating.

Like MickeyTN said, quarantine should be done in different buildings to prevent contagious airborne diseases such as PBFD. So too late for that. I would still keep them separated until you can have her vet checked for other possible illnesses.

She's very cute! :)

OP
S

sofiaee

Jul 19, 2013
Parrots
Yeah, they gave me an itty bitty bag of seed, it fits in the palm of my very small hand so I'll have to buy more to mix in. I've also been hearing some great stuff about Harrison's so I'm ordering some. I tried switching Oliver to Roudybush but he seems to not like it at all.

OP
S

sofiaee

Jul 19, 2013
Parrots
Thanks for the help guys!

Most Reactions